Rear crankshaft seal.

cpeavey

Reaction score
My '74 3.0CS has one of those needle-bearing type pilot bearings. When I had it opened up to do my 5-speed upgrade last year I tried to replace it with the more durable ball-bearing style. There is a kind of adapter sleeve that accompanies the smaller bearing that I had to pull out in order to install the other type. But even with a pilot bearing puller borrowed from Autozone, I couldn't get that sleeve out, so I had to just put another of the needle-style back in.

Charlie

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have never used a pilot bearing tool- just did it the old-fashioned way. Sure it's a little messy but only a few minutes with a tub of grease and a hammer.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have never used a pilot bearing tool- just did it the old-fashioned way. Sure it's a little messy but only a few minutes with a tub of grease and a hammer.

corsachili

Reaction score
My '74 3.0CS has one of those needle-bearing type pilot bearings. When I had it opened up to do my 5-speed upgrade last year I tried to replace it with the more durable ball-bearing style. There is a kind of adapter sleeve that accompanies the smaller bearing that I had to pull out in order to install the other type. But even with a pilot bearing puller borrowed from Autozone, I couldn't get that sleeve out, so I had to just put another of the needle-style back in.

Charlie

That adapter is in there extremely tight. I couldn't get it to budge either, not even with a really beefy Snap-On extractor. So I too left it in place and used the needle-bearing style pilot.

-tj in Los Gatos

corsachili

Reaction score

Charlie

That adapter is in there extremely tight. I couldn't get it to budge either, not even with a really beefy Snap-On extractor. So I too left it in place and used the needle-bearing style pilot.

-tj in Los Gatos