Rear Fog Light Question

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 73 3.0cs euro has the trunk cutout for the rear fog light but no fog light and the aluminum license plate holder has no cut out. I am assuming it was removed at some point and the plate holder replaced (wiring is a mess so have not looked for fog light wiring yet). Did some 73 euros (German in my case) just not have one? More importantly, has anyone fashioned a plate to cover the trunk opening for the foglight, P.O. just had it open.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My Italian delivery CSi has not been cut for a rear fog light.

I have all the parts, just haven’t committed to doing it yet.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My Italian delivery CSi has not been cut for a rear fog light.

I have all the parts, just haven’t committed to doing it yet.

I have the template if you want to pull the trigger. Not just the trim panel but the actual tail panel. I cut it out of my CSI.

6DC3CD42-7B46-4DD4-9FFF-9B39AC62D87D.jpeg

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think all coupes had the indentation for a cutout. They all came prewired so if a euro fog were added it would be a simple addition.
The aluminum piece that is behind the license plate needs to be replaced with one with the fog light opening. Then you need the fog light.

I have a spare fog light if you want it. $50.00 plus shipping. Or no shipping if we meet somewhere. I will be at MGH on Monday AM

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think all coupes had the indentation for a cutout. They all came prewired so if a euro fog were added it would be a simple addition.
The aluminum piece that is behind the license plate needs to be replaced with one with the fog light opening. Then you need the fog light.

Stan, just to clarify for folks. The indentation for the cutout that you reference is for the fog light button correct? I am aware of that indentation but the vehicle tail panel doesn’t have any indentations on non-fog light cars.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 1973 had an indentation “knock out” but needed to be cut out for the rear fog light

Very interesting! BMW has about four different part numbers for the tails, two for the non-CSL, with the fog version listed applicable to Fance and Italy. Along with the same setup for the CSL.

My tail panel was replaced on my CS in the early 80’s. It has no indentation or cutout but still has the orange BMW Teile sticker on it.

I’ve sent my blue template to a number of folks that installed a fog light but didn’t have the cutout.