Rear Head Rests

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are there grommets that these slide through? I just have 2 holes on each side that they feed through into the trunk and when I drive they constantly squeak. I cannot find a diagram for the headrests on Real OEM or Penske.

windnsea

Reaction score
You'll have to venture up to Pasadena and check-out my E3 Alpina. There is a metal bracket for each rear headreast that bolts to the trunk side of the rear bulkhead. This provides the ability to set the headreast at more than one height. The black plastic protective covers that cover the holes in the rear parcel shelf are to guide the headreast and also protect the rear parcel shelf material.

Gary Hesse

BTW, tomorrow, Saturday 8/23, from ~11 to 3, is open house at Ireland Engineering for the SoCal Vintage BMW Group and also Car Nite members. Come on up and then we'll go 10 minutes up to my place in Pasadena.

windnsea

Reaction score
Okay, so my first reply got me thinking as you said that they were not to be found over the internet. Glad that I have BMW original parts books from the 1970's!

The bracket (2 each) are p/n 52201813047

The cover plugs ( 2 each) are p/n 52201809821

43-year old parts are invaluable!

Gary Hesse

However, don't know if these parts are available or nla. I probably have a few of the cover plugs hiding in the garage or in my other place in San Clemente where I have about 8 boxes of E3 parts in hibernation!

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just have bare holes in the rear shelf, nothing I see to attach guides inside the trunk. Dare to share a photo? Neither part number comes up with anything in google images or Mobile Tradition. This way you can share the Alpina part of the car too!

windnsea

Reaction score
Bob,

For the pix of the car on this website, here is the link:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=80

I'll try to find some time tomorrow to scan the two pages from the parts manual and put them on the thread. IRRC, the trunk compartment panel that affixes to the rear passenger bulkhead covers the brackets, but I'll take a look and take some pix if I'm wrong.

Also, run those parts through the websites like bimmer.com and realoem.com to see if they were used on later models

Gary

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
What my '76 has:

P1020717.JPG

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I need to pull the cover from the trunk and see what I have.

Edit; Mr DumbAss pulled the cover and found styrofoam covering the brackets so am all set. Just when you thought you knew every nook and cranny of your car. Thanks.

Last edited: