rear license tag back plate?..

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Two questions..both about the bright-metal rear tag back plate:
Anyone know when they changed from chromed brass (right?) to anodized aluminum?

Also, I bought an early one (70, I think) that has a pair of small holes on both left and right sides in the ribbed area...For what? Euro tag holder? Badges of some manner? Otherwise, its excellant, and I think to repair would entail more effort/craft$man$hip that its worth. Any thoughts appreciated.

Dave V. in NC

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Brass VS Aluminum rear trim plates

Ditto to Stans statement--bean counters were trying to minimize the loss of $$$'s on each Coupe

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
2 holes drilled on each side

Do you know if the trim part ever mounted on a Euro model ?
the holes may have been a crude attempt to mount a license plate--large holes on either side were/are factory and a good way of trimming them out is with a s/s or chromed head carriage bolt--I have seen several with crusty-rusties there.

On the other hand--some earlier owners were not as committed to preservation as we have become as a group of enthusiasts--or so it seems for most of our members on this msg board--and I believe I sense that mission growing stronger as the years have gone by and most owners have evolved into responsible caretakers---rather than the--"rip 'em up its my car" attitudes--that we saw and was juvenilely (is that a word) defended as a "right" to abuse and just replace it when broken a few years back.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
cat eyes..

That would explain the size of the holes (very small 1/8"), and they're about 3" apart in the ribbed area. I dont suppose that anyone would have a picture of these reflectors (on a coupe) in their archives? Thanks all, Dave