Rear lowering : cut a spiral ?

jc971

Reaction score
Good morning
I think this subject has already been brought up several times.
but i have a few questions
I would like to lower the back of my e9 by 2-3 cm
I wonder about the cutting of the rear springs 1 spiral or 2
someone already did it?
is it possible to do it directly on the car?
top or bottom of the spring?
I use the car very little, it doesn't bother it if it's a little harder
I just want the spring to stay in place.
what do you think if I cut at this place?
67CE77DC-08B6-40AC-ADE0-50C1A09E2A17.jpeg

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dick, I’m doing good to type/post here. I’m better at wheel bearings, not computer links.

“Stance: Your Vote” is the complete title.

Thanks.RP

jc971

Reaction score
thank you for this information patton it is very useful
at the front I removed the aluminum spacer and the height is good, not too low not too high
but the back is 4 cm higher than the front

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
The previous owner of my coupe cut the rear springs, then apparently changed his mind. There was another spring "installed" on top of the now shortened rear springs. I don't think it was the cut off coils, but I'm not sure. The springs were replaced as part of the sale so I didn't see them after they'd been removed. Moral of the story: don't cut too much off!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Moral of the story: don't cut too much off!
I'll second that. I've lowered several hotrods by cutting coils. I learned the hard way to go slow. Having to cut the same coil a couple of times to dial in the ride height desired is better than having to cut multiple sets of springs when you cut too much the first time. :mad:

aguirola

Reaction score
We used to lower 2002's with a blow torch, heat the spring and the spring would slowly lower.
No need to cut, it was cheap and was acceptable. No budget to buy brand springs (Alpina).

Regards, Alberto

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
The previous owner of my coupe cut the rear springs, then apparently changed his mind. There was another spring "installed" on top of the now shortened rear springs. I don't think it was the cut off coils, but I'm not sure. The springs were replaced as part of the sale so I didn't see them after they'd been removed. Moral of the story: don't cut too much off!
It might have been a helper spring just to maintain some tension in the cut spring when the suspension is at full drop.