Rear Parcel Shelf

My coupe had the 6x9 cut outs on the parcel shelf. I decided to utilize the holes and mounted 6x9 speakers under the shelf. I used black vinyl black speaker cloth and perforated the vinyl in a starburst pattern in the shape of the 6x9. This allowes for good sound transfer and also a clean look.

The PO put better rear speakers in my parcel shelf, then covered the whole shelf with black speaker cloth. Neat, and no visible speakers!

The PO put better rear speakers in my parcel shelf, then covered the whole shelf with black speaker cloth. Neat, and no visible speakers!

The PO did that in my car. The only issue is that he cutout 5 holes. There are two 6x9’s, two 4”, and a big 8” or so sub in the center.

On top was a 3/4” particle board top with speaker fabric. The issue was that the rear window seal leaked and the particle board swelled up to 3” thick.

The PO did that in my car. The only issue is that he cutout 5 holes. There are two 6x9’s, two 4”, and a big 8” or so sub in the center.

On top was a 3/4” particle board top with speaker fabric. The issue was that the rear window seal leaked and the particle board swelled up to 3” thick.

Ouch. Particle board should be reserved for specialized applications, like kindling. I assume you've corrected this by now, but there's a rigid expanded foam material called Sintra that would work nicely for that.

If anyone is looking to eliminate the speaker holes why not trace a piece of plywood by slideing it under the shelf and cot the section out.
Use wood glue to attach ad support the shelf with a flat piece of plywood. When dry fill the spaces with wood filler. Nothing wll show with carpet installed. Actually gluing a hin place of veneer over the entire shelf wood be easier.
Koopman

Well, the 1974 RHD CSi certainly featured carpet for the rear parcel-shelf covering. I managed to conceal small speakers in the space astern of the 'B' posts which means minimum mutilation to the body. It does nothing for sound quality but there's very little worth listening to, anyway. Compliments of the Season, John.

Back