Rear quarter panel removal

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am getting ready to pull off both rear panels (to be reused), for access to rust for blasting and painting, and replacement of rocker cover.

Question - is the wheel arch seam between the fender and outer wheel arch spot welded or glued?
Thanks,

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am getting ready to pull off both rear panels (to be reused), for access to rust for blasting and painting, and replacement of rocker cover.

Question - is the wheel arch seam between the fender and outer wheel arch spot welded or glued?
Thanks,

Malc

Reaction score
Sven,
Both!
You are going to have to find all the spot welds....
Around the arches
Down the B-pillar
At the bottom along the sills
Along the rear quarter window
Along the rear window aperture
Where they meet the boot floor

Then you need to carefully find the join part of the way up the rear roof pillars and along the boot lid seal area. This is usually lead loaded if it has never been disturbed before.
Finally you need to separate them from the rear panel, which is a combination of spot welds, below the boot floor and butt welding above!

Malc

Reaction score
Sven,
Both!
You are going to have to find all the spot welds....
Around the arches
Down the B-pillar
At the bottom along the sills
Along the rear quarter window
Along the rear window aperture
Where they meet the boot floor

Then you need to carefully find the join part of the way up the rear roof pillars and along the boot lid seal area. This is usually lead loaded if it has never been disturbed before.
Finally you need to separate them from the rear panel, which is a combination of spot welds, below the boot floor and butt welding above!

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Malc,
I started the drilling out of the tack welds. It all looks pretty straight forward except for the area around the rear jack point reinforcement plate. Viewed from the bottom it appears that there are 2 or 3 big tack welds in the bottom surface of the plate. Does this sound correct? I drilled a pilot hole and there seems to be a good 8mm of steel. I remember the front pair of jack plates where a pain to remove, but there, I did not care about preserving the surrounding sheet metal (as the outer rocker cover is being replaced), which is one of the reasons for removing rear quarter panels (in addition to getting access to the back side for rust removal).

Thanks,

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Malc,
I started the drilling out of the tack welds. It all looks pretty straight forward except for the area around the rear jack point reinforcement plate. Viewed from the bottom it appears that there are 2 or 3 big tack welds in the bottom surface of the plate. Does this sound correct? I drilled a pilot hole and there seems to be a good 8mm of steel. I remember the front pair of jack plates where a pain to remove, but there, I did not care about preserving the surrounding sheet metal (as the outer rocker cover is being replaced), which is one of the reasons for removing rear quarter panels (in addition to getting access to the back side for rust removal).

Thanks,