rear seat belt removal

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
quick question guys ...

i was taking stuff out of the interior of my car - going to spray the inside floor with a thermal / acoustic insulation. i have most everything out of the interior that's in the way. i got to the rear seatbelts in the center - they are mounted with 'U' bolts. i didn't take too much of a look at these today as i assume that i need to get under the car to unbolt these mounts.

so my question is where these are located under the car. i presume they are right in front of the diff, but with undercoating everywhere it is sometimes difficult to find things. i looked in the trunk and didn't see any nuts that were visible ... and yes the panel inside the trunk behind the rear seat has been removed.

many thanks
scott

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
They are right at the end of the tunnel in front of the diff where it connects to the drive shaft. Might have to remove tunnel cover to see them.
IMG_1409.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
many thanks Gary - since my engine + tranny are out, the driveshaft etc should be out and i should be able to get to them.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
The nuts for the seatbelt bolts are welded on a bracket each. Two brackets are indeed under the car just in front of the diff.
In the attached pic (left is front of car, right is rear with diff carrier just visible) you can clearly see the brackets, on bottom of screen, one at the top. in the middle of the brackets you can just make out the cilindrical threads, just picking up some light coming from the left in the picture.

but, what are you planning to do with them? Youdon't need to be under the car if you want to unbolt the seatbelts. They are welded with spotwelds + a beadweld to the underbody anyway....

In my car I can see some rust coming out from under these brackets, so I'm still debating if i should chop them out, clean & refit.
It is quite a hassle but also near impossible to weld them back in the same manner. No access for spotwelding anymore, and MIG welding will cause the anti rust layers to be compromised; the paint will burn off, leaving bare blue metal rusting in a week.
I cannot rework the backside of that part of the floorpanel, as it is part of the square tube that runs between the wheel wells; no access.

Erik.

Attachments

• 20180120_213427.jpg
    20180120_213427.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 114