Rear Window Operation

cobubas1

Reaction score
Hi, is there any way I can wind the rear windows up and down on my 1972 3.0cs without power - I.E - do it manually?

Regards

Colin

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
On my '69, once the door panel is off you can access the motor and turn it by hand. There is a white plastic gear on the shaft, it takes a lot of turns but you can raise and lower the window.

If you were really clever you could probably put a gear on a drill and turn it that way.

cobubas1

Reaction score
Many thanks for the reply, i have tried that but they do not appear to move. I read that there is a special tool that comes in the boot tool kit that may do it? Does anyone know about this or what it looks like please?
These are some of the last parts to remove for a full resto so I am keen to get them moving.:confused:Colin

m_thompson

Reaction score
I read that there is a special tool that comes in the boot tool kit that may do it? Does anyone know about this or what it looks like please?

It is called a "rack" and it looks like a nylon toothbrush. The NLA P/N 51 37 8 745 162. It came in both the Bavaria and the CS.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Freeing window motors

You don't say what year your car is. If it is a 73 or earlier with the metal can motor and separate gearbox, the window regulator mechanism can get jammed at the end of travel and may take some force to get it free. I've used pliers to get a better grip on the thumbwheel.

In my experience, the toolbox 'rack' part has not worked unless the thumbwheel was free to turn.

MMercury

Reaction score
Hi, is there any way I can wind the rear windows up and down on my 1972 3.0cs without power - I.E - do it manually?

Regards

Colin

A finger (naked or wrapped) may substitute for the rack and it is generally easier to locate.

WARNING about using a finger though. Although this should be self evident, the nylon gear can bite.! So, if you value your digits, it is advisable that the key be in the off position or battery disconnected, to avoid inadvertently energizing the window motor and unleashing a 12v medieval pinching device.

p_015.jpg

MMercury

Reaction score
Many thanks for the reply, i have tried that but they do not appear to move. I read that there is a special tool that comes in the boot tool kit that may do it? Does anyone know about this or what it looks like please?
These are some of the last parts to remove for a full resto so I am keen to get them moving.:confused:Colin
To be clear, you are referring to the rear windows? If you are doing a restore - one presumes you have removed the rear panel (2 screws?) to access the mechanism. If so, you have two choices.

First try to overcome the so-called binding with your fingers or substitute tool. I suggest fingers since using pliers could damage the nylon gear. Don't overlook the possibility that the old rubber stop has become "glued" in place.

Second, remove the motor itself and make sure it is not the reason for the impeded movement.

Good luck!