Rear window stuck (gear moves when switch is actuated).

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Any advice as to best release stuck rear windows? As the title notes, I have power to the motor and the gear moves just a little when the switch is thrown. I assume that the problem is that the register is binding.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would try pushing down on glass as you use the switch. The whole assembly needs to come out to be cleaned. Six bolts on upper sheet metal and two down low, just don’t loosen the two screws each held by a bolt that moves the glass in and out.

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would try pushing down on glass as you use the switch. The whole assembly needs to come out to be cleaned. Six bolts on upper sheet metal and two down low, just don’t loosen the two screws each held by a bolt that moves the glass in and out.

I tried that: as both of my rear windows are now stuck, I have forgotten if the last part of the action is forward closing or upward closing.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sometimes moving the gear in the proper direction while powering the switch will set it free. Sometimes the window mechanism compresses the bump stop too much and gets wedged shut. You could try loosening the offending bump stop. Do you have the window crank comb that manually turns the mechanism?

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just use a flat blade screwdriver to help the gear get started. Just note what direction it starts to move and put the screwdriver in place and give it a push when you hit the switch.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Later 73 motors have no gear access or rubber bump stops, that is why they exchange with the e28 motors so easily.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine LHS rear and RHS front both got stuck after not using the car for 3 months.

We cleaned and heavily lubricated the rear window mechanisms and it came back to life. For the front we discovered the bottom bump stop had become loose so the window went down too far and got stuck. We tightened that up that and hey presto the front drivers side came back to life. We went over all the switches and connections with contact cleaner for all 4 windows.

So far a few years later all windows with original E9 motors work perfectly (hopefully I havent jinxed them now).

Every time I use my car I activate all 4 windows to keep them alive. E9 electric windows need to be regularly 'woken up' to keep connections fresh and mechanisms moving smoothly.

Last edited:

72CS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Any advice as to best release stuck rear windows? As the title notes, I have power to the motor and the gear moves just a little when the switch is thrown. I assume that the problem is that the register is binding.
This has happened to me. As suggested by others I manually turned the gear mechanism to free the window from the bump stop, once loosened from the bumstop the motor should work. In my case I readjusted the bumpstop so the window stopped a little bit earlier in it's travel which seemd to do the trick. Also check that the bumpstop rubber has not deteriorated (I ended up repalcing mine).

bcoli

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I keep a long pair of hemostats in the glove box for my one rear window that sometimes gets stuck in the fully down position. Just a little pull while activating (one of) the switch(s) does the trick.