Rear window work (onboard)

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is there anything that can be done to improve the speed of the rear windows short of taking the whole unit out and cleaning the tracks, etc??

With rain in the forecast for the next 13 weeks, I don't really want to take the windows out

(Is there a post detailing such endeavor?)

Thanks in advance.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Unfortunately removing them to clean them adequately is probably your only solution. I have not tackled this myself and am resigned to very slow windows in back, a slow passenger window ( a leter project on my list) and a fairly quick driver's window (it has the e28 motor).

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is there anything that can be done to improve the speed of the rear windows short of taking the whole unit out and cleaning the tracks, etc??

With rain in the forecast for the next 13 weeks, I don't really want to take the windows out

(Is there a post detailing such endeavor?)

Thanks in advance.

"... with rain in the forecast for the next 13 weeks..."...really ??? o my god !

i remember spending beautiful weather last year in boston (right, it was july)

i have not done the rears, but this little advise probably can help, i did the front one, driver side
i was reluctant to that, but then, i started and every thing was fine, i dismantled only the trim interior panel, that granted me access to the mechanisms, so without dismantling the glass, you can do a cleaning with petrol and regrease tracks and mechs, then retighten nuts and bolts, and: perfect work !

i dissasembled the whole mechanism out from the door to clean it adequately, meanwhile you can fix the glass somehow in the upright position with duck tape to avoid water entrance

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have rebuilt both rear window gear boxes and tracks and then took them both out again to reroute the c-pillar drains. The first time you do it you'll swear you'll never put yourself through it again (until you see how fast it can go and the other side conks out). The second time is much easier as the learning curve is quick. You may be able to take the trim out and squirt some white grease in there but removal is the only way to make it go as it should. The window must be down to get it out of the body, and extreme care must be taken to avoid breaking the glass at all points of cleaning and reinstalling. Then you'll have to either take out the gear box or hook power back up to it to get the glass back in the "up" position (clear of the track) to get to the tracks fully. Removing the old grease and application of new will do wonders for speed and also take stress off the clutch box gear which is plastic which WILL strip if the resistance is too high from the window lift. Am happy to help more as you get into it. My windows now go up and down in about 5 seconds tops.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
okay Steve, novice question. can you clean the tracks with the window in place. i am sure the answer is no ... but it begged the question.

i was about to look for a good write up on doing this. is there one on the archives ... or do you have any sage words of advice?

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
I can verify Steve's comments that removal and cleaning and lots (and lots) of white lithium grease make's a huge difference. Can't be done properly in place and do it right the first time because it is a messy pain in the ass job. Didn't do anything with the motors other than a drop of oil where the driveshaft exits the casing. 5-7 seconds to close any of the 4 windows sounds about right.

Doug

Edit

Here's a link to some photos showing some of the elements involved to remove the regulators and glass. Personally I recommend doing the complete job one window at a time so you always have a reference to go back to.

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g120/decoupe/Power Window Rehab/

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have repressed a lot of this, but I think the track faces away from the interior, you may be able to get some lube into it but you won't be able to completely grease or clean it out because the side open to the roller faces away.

I will look for some documentation but I don't recall a tutorial.

It may take 4 hours for the first one but only 2 for the second. :mrgreen:

In the end, it's worth the effort because if your window is slow, it will eventually fry your gearbox and you'll be looking for replacements away.

okay Steve, novice question. can you clean the tracks with the window in place. i am sure the answer is no ... but it begged the question.

i was about to look for a good write up on doing this. is there one on the archives ... or do you have any sage words of advice?

x_atlas0

Reaction score
The hard part is getting the bloody thing re-aligned. My coupe still isn't water tight because of the dang back windows.