Rearends that work with a CS?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
A friend is parting out a Euro 635csi that has a limited-slip rearend. Will this work in my CS? I'm not up to date on the rearends (at least with cars).

Dan

michael

Site Donor
Reaction score
It will fit. More than likely a 3.07 LSD.

Typically these were mated to a dogleg 5 speed.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It will fit if it's a sideloader. If it's the rear-loading diff from a later e24 it won't. Easy to tell -- if it has a finned aluminum cover that bolts on the back it's the wrong diff style.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
If it is from a 79-early 81 635, yes.

Mid-81 the euro 635's went from E12 to E28-based chassis.

NOTE, as already pointed out, the early 635 Euro (affectionastely known as "The Truth" by their lucky owners, came with a 3.07 ratio LS, coupled to a CR 5-speed and a VERY torquie, and rather unique 3.5 liter engine, it is NOT a good diff for the average transplant-recipient, IMHO.

Though I gotta say I DID put one in the old Max Hoffmann 2800, and loved it....once I was on the interstates.

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
Hey Dang, would have thought something small,well rounded, clad in frayed Denim seat covers with tanned bits on both sides would fit perfectly with an E9

Mike Pelly

Reaction score
I have the 3.07lsd diff mated to a dogleg powered by a 3.5 and it is a great match for the coupe. The powerband is in the 3500+ RPM range and requires a bit more shifting than the OD five speed. When cruising around town it's a blast to drive; when on the freeway I prefer the OD tranny with a 3.64 diff