Reason why you might regret selling your car...

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
Its not just a car...its part of the family which brought joy and fond memories. We used to drive to the Santa Barbara Zoo on Thursdays when he was 4 years old. Now our kid is in college and we see him every few months. Driving the red sl reminds me of the great times we had as a family and those Thursday afternoons...I am glad I never sold it.
Two years ago I bought an 83SC Porsche from a guy who lost interest and was busy with the family. His little boy asked if he could hug the car just before I drove off...it broke my heart. I told the owner that he might regret what he is doing one day...and I promised I would look him up if I were to ever sell the car.

I hope that this might persuade some of the younger guys with families on this forum to think twice before selling their old cars whatever they may be. You might regret it an find yourself posting "sold, gone but not forgotten".

I posted this last year on two other car sites as I was emotional when our son returned from college. That night we went out through the dark country roads near our house and showed him the new stereo I had installed in the sl. It was the best 20 minutes I had had in a long time. I also showed him this post and he said "dad, that was really cool" .

I don't know how may of you have young children.. and I don't know how many CS are "part of the family".
But I do hope that if it is that you enjoy as much as I enjoyed my sl.
abe

Attachments

• Scan10154a_1.jpg
    Scan10154a_1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0813ab_1a.jpg
    IMG_0813ab_1a.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 129

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Abe,

Your story really touched my heart, maybe because in a short couple of months I will be a dad to a son for the first time. I would love to look back one day and cherish the memories my son and I will share and I guarantee my 2800cs will be involved in many of them. Best wishes and I hope you make many more cherished memories in the future with your SL and son.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I sold my '73 Malaga CS when we started a family, that was 23 or so years ago, now I am looking for another coupe, I've had seller's remorse all these years but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

m_thompson

Reaction score
We bought our coupe project just before we were married. During the first year of our marriage we (my wife really helped!) rebuilt the engine, cleaned up the engine compartment, installed the newly rebuilt engine, a rebuilt transmission, new brakes, exhaust, tires, etc and got it drivable. We have driven it to six BMW CCA Oktoberfests.

Now 28 years later I can't imagine selling it. The only other car I would consider as a toy is a 1930s DIXI or 327/328. Those are probably way out of my price range.