Rebuilding my horn slip ring contact

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Got into my Bav the other night, put the hot pizza on the passenger seat, cranked it up and started to back out. Suddenly there's someone honking at me, so I'm checking all my mirrors for someone else approaching. It was pretty loud, so I knew he was close. Nobody there. It took me a while to figure out that it was my horn blowing, so I pulled the relay and went home. Got to checking for the cause and discovered that the spring-loaded contact that rides on the back of the steering wheel hub was broken right at the outer tip. A trip to realoem says it's not available anymore, so it's on to plan B. I put a layer of shrink tubing over the conical post and shrunk it to fit the hex shape of the contact rod, then cut the cap of a large sharpie to length and epoxied it over the shrink tubing. It looks a little sturdier than the original.

BMWhornpost_zpst61eq3sc.jpg

rbmacp

Reaction score
Mike, Great posting! My car started honking the horn at random, and any time I put any pressure forward or backward on the wheel. I pulled the relay, but haven't looked at the contact yet.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very nice Mike. For posterity, it's worth noting here that the part is available for ~$10 from many online vendors, I bought one when I restored the E3. Just google 32331350750.