recommendation for wheel refinishing

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

m_thompson

Reaction score
I just swapped email with RimPro in Tyngsboro, MA about refinishing the stock wheels on my CS. Their WWW page says $185 per wheel and they quoted $220 per wheel. I sent them pictures so they could see the very minimal damage. They replied that the wheels don't strip well so they can't refinish them. I asked for an explanation on why they are difficult to strip, and they said that the wheels are made from magnesium.

I thought that the stock wheels were aluminum?

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hmm, Mg for wheels was used on a few Porsches early on, but I believe they ended up only using it only for racing wheels. Mg is pretty flammable in a fire, as I recall, and though much lighter than Al, probably not as durable. I sincerely doubt that BMW used Mg for wheels on street/highway vehicles. IF wrong, won't be the first or last time, however!

Gary

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mg wheels are still made and used for racing. I think I paid about $650 a wheel for some.

AFAIK. Back in the day They were indeed sold for street use, but that’s not very practical. I’m not aware of any stock or Alpina wheels that are Mg.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Like everyone they are confusing them with Campagnolo or Cromodora. Your F.P.S. wheels are aluminum.

I know a guy near me that has a refinished set for sale (unlisted). I can get a price and ship them your way if you are interested.

Last edited:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just swapped email with RimPro in Tyngsboro, MA about refinishing the stock wheels on my CS. Their WWW page says $185 per wheel and they quoted $220 per wheel. I sent them pictures so they could see the very minimal damage. They replied that the wheels don't strip well so they can't refinish them. I asked for an explanation on why they are difficult to strip, and they said that the wheels are made from magnesium.

I thought that the stock wheels were aluminum?
They are wrong, they are not magnesium

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sounds like the RimPro people are idiots and I should go elsewhere.
I would simply call them again and politely tell them they confused your aluminum wheels with the aforementioned mag wheels.
Another thought might be to look for a set that has been refinished and is for sale. May cost less...

m_thompson

Reaction score
I would simply call them again and politely tell them they confused your aluminum wheels with the aforementioned mag wheels.

I tried that. The sales person said that the owner said they were magnesium so they won't refinish them.

There is just a little curb rash on one wheel, not enough to require welding. I have a case of Wurth silver paint that is supposed to be a match to the original finish. I will try refinishing them myself.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Why not powder coat them? They blast them and PC in any color you want.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
IF I REMEMBER A COFFEE CAN IS THE EXACT SIZE FOR THE BLACK CENTER IT JUST CARRIES OVER THE EDGE LIKE OEM
SO PAINT I BLACK WITH OVER RUN THEN SET THE CAN AND USE THE SILVER