Recovering and newly making door window and rear windows inner and outer NLA weatherstripping (fuzzy strips)

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
As we mentioned in our recent post,

about certain window weatherstripping being no longer available, we decided to take a stab at recovering and in the case of the rear windows, making them from scratch.

First locating suitable material. The front and rear inner and outer fuzzy portion of the weatherstripping basically consists of a thin black material that looks somewhat perforated with a fuzzy strip attached. We found what seems to be suitable material Hobby Lobby and Amazon.

The black material from Hobby Lobby is cheap
100_4213.JPG

The fuzzy strip from amazon also cheap

100_4177.JPG

First we did the easier one, the front window outer one.
51211816761 Brush
Believe this is the part number

Here is the piece after we stripped away the old covering.

100_4179.JPG

So cut a strip of the black material and glue it onto the cleaned metal sub-straight.

100_4180.JPG

We use a vinyl cement
100_4183.JPG

trim the material to be pasted inside so it just fits in the leg. Use a putty scraper to work the material inside before glue sets.
100_4187.JPG

After glue dries trim around the cutouts and then apply the fuzzy strip, The fuzzy strip comes with a very strong stick-on adhesive after peeling off the paper backing. Get it lined up as one it is pushed on it really sticks. We suppose time will tell how it weathers and if it can withstand the window sliding against it. A lot will depend on making sure the window is subsequently aligned properly.
100_4188.JPG

Finished items. In like manner the inner fuzzy weatherstripping could be recovered in the same way.

100_4190.JPG

The rear window fuzzy strips are completely made as new.

Again reference our prior (above) post about the rear window part numbers. It appears the curved sub-straight is the same for both the inner and outer strips. It just depends on which side peel and stick fuzzy strip will be applied. We took the best of the removed strips and used as a pattern. (could recover it, but ours were a bit rusted). The sub-straight is approximately .020" thick. We had some pieces of galvanized AC house ducting material laying around and it is about the same thickness. One could go to local Home AC installation companies and they would probably give you excess cutoffs. Using the old sub-straight new pieces were cut with tin snips, a bit wider than needed. Then they were trimmed on a bench belt sander to get them to match the original as close as possible. Suppose thin Aluminum could be use but don't want it to be too flexible.

100_4206.JPG

Then its just a matter of gluing the black material on the piece and peel and sticking the fuzzy strip.

100_4197.JPG

The fuzzy strip will have to be snipped about 1/3 or so of the way through in places to allow it to bend to fit the curve.

100_4209.JPG

Final product that will fit into the still available outside rubber squeegee strip. The pieces fit into a similar guide on the inside. Of course holes have to be punched to fit onto the metal holders.

100_4210.JPG

As mentioned, we have no assurance of how long the fuzzy strip adhesive will stay on. Looks like the originals were all molded together. But it sure seems like the adhesive is quite strong.

We acknowledge others have used alternative materials with success to help us keep our classics on the road.

Dimensionally the rear ones we made are very close in thickness to the originals. But before fitting we will take a close look at whether they might need to be shimmed on the back side to ensure the fuzzy just touches the window.

Thanks

jjs2800cs

Attachments

• 100_4198.JPG
    100_4198.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 135

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
Thanks m5bb

We have used Steelrubber before but could not find what we did without some modification, especially for the rear curved pieces. But yes they do have lots of applicable pieces.

If you do run across what you did, it would be helpful.

Thanks

jjs2800cs

jpg10

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Excellent write up, thankyou for taking the time to do it.

Thats another job on the list to do. Thanks for the reference on the materials on Amazon as its useful to track it down to buy it or similar products.

Nice trick having the date on the glue so you know how old it is and if its worth keeping without opening the can. That'll be me now marking each item as I open them to start using them

jpg10

Site Donor $
Reaction score
thanks @Henrik but from the write up it looks like something I could have a stab at doing. If I mess it up I can always buy it, but I'd like to try first.

I want to try to do as much as I can, as I know some things I definitely need others who have the skills to do for me and to save time. I think its the best way I can to get to know the car and its idiosyncrasies more

Beam318ti

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great write up. Was able to purchase the material from the same sources. Completed project yesterday. The finished product turned out great. Thanks for the help.