Red/restored 2800CS on BAT

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And pics 98-102 show a cavity under the fenders where it meets inner fender, very strange repair. But then again, look at the crude spare tire well.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
And pics 98-102 show a cavity under the fenders where it meets inner fender, very strange repair. But then again, look at the crude spare tire well.

I think you right!

It is missing there 2 pieces that connect the tops of the inner fender to the outer fender. 2 are missing on the left fender, and 2 are missing on the right fender.

Not sure how stiff that front end is with all that metal missing....

Screenshot_20210410-235443_Samsung Internet.jpg

Luckily they are on sale now at Wally, so for only 130 euro, but it'll cost you dearly if you want to weld them in!

Funny side aspect; the open cavity that we now see in those pics, is actually THE reason that out coupes rot badly in those place.
The 4 missing pieces close the cavities, adding structural rigidity, but also creating the cavern for dirt to trap, and soak up moisture.
Everything has a positive side; this solution sure kept it from happening again.

(Just to be open; my car is the same wrt this aspect :-(
Prepared by PO once like that. I had no issues driving it 20.000 km, but for sure my car is now getting the missing pieces.....)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210411-001257_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210411-001257_Samsung Internet.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20210411-001456_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210411-001456_Samsung Internet.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking at how they welded fresh metal on top of the rusted sheet in the floorboard, then I think the life of the repair ( dated to 2012) is already in its senior years....

They made a lap joint, did not even grind the surface clean, created a fitting panel, (quite some work), and just laid it there and made some plug welds.
The rust is already pre-inserted in the joint.

Quick and ugly, but it matches the spare tire fix. Clearly a repair ment to quickly get it driving again, which to be honest, is something I miss dearly as I am taking my welding too serious, for the past 7 years....

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is this a Euro or not? Side panel lights/markers in back but not front, Euro fog light in the back.....I believe only the Euros had power rear and manual front windows.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So the red coupe bid went from $6500 to $15.5K? Bet that pissed off the guy at $6500...huh? I perhaps smell a rodent.
Was this really going to go for less than 15.5? I realize what this used to be (rusted out) but I see a hell of a nice daily driver even at 20k.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
What surprises me is that the comments are pretty much positive (glowing in some cases)

If this was a beautiful mid year Corvette, the comments would all be about the wrong markings on a fastener on a muffler clamp, wrong color antifreeze, etc.

floridabmx

Reaction score
What surprises me is that the comments are pretty much positive (glowing in some cases)

If this was a beautiful mid year Corvette, the comments would all be about the wrong markings on a fastener on a muffler clamp, wrong color antifreeze, etc.

Hah same. I thought it would get torn apart by the "Wrong color zip tie" "I see a bubble now the entire car needs to be redone" crowd

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Makes sense, that coupe was painted in a barn....
...with a short nap roller ;)

I'm no E9 expert, but I think that is all the money for that car....maybe even more. That one that was posted here that was on eBay late November/early December was in Seattle. He wanted $15k for it. I went and took a look at it. Clearly a project and clearly with some rust issues. Original paint and interior. I'd much rather have a car that wasn't messed with by someone else than one that was poorly put back together like the red car. Here's that $15k car...

IMG_5445.jpeg

IMG_5442.jpeg

IMG_5439.jpeg

I think you'd have to start over on the red car for any peace of mind. On one like the above car, you could just do it right the first time.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The big question is why would BAT accept such a poorly restored car in the first place? They had to know that it would get picked apart in the comments and hamper bidding. I get the impression the “experts” at BAT are not all that knowledgable about the cars they list. Shouldn’t be surprised. These are the same guys who listed a coupe last year that had two VINs.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It's tough to knock BaTs success. Running a car every now and then that gets picked apart with no hope of making reserve may be more of an interest/traffic builder than anything else, with the pay off in the long run since it attracts car enthusiasts to the BaT site.

I'm not sure they have to be "experts" on all the cars they run. In actuality, they are not the sellers. BaT writes some pretty harmless, generic copy (they all sound just about the same). It's the owner that takes the pictures and videos and interacts with the potential buyers with facts and salesmanship. It's the peanut gallery that keeps things pretty much honest. IMHO it's genius. I wish I had thought of it.

Last edited:

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
It's tough to knock BaTs success. Running a car every now and then that gets picked apart with no hope of making reserve may be more of an interest/traffic builder than anything else, with the pay off in the long run since it attracts car enthusiasts to the BaT site.

I'm not sure they have to be "experts" on all the cars they run. In actuality, they are not the sellers. BaT writes some pretty harmless, generic copy (they all sound just about the same). It's the owner that takes the pictures and videos and interacts with the potential buyers with facts and salesmanship. It's the the peanut gallery that keeps things pretty much honest. IMHO it's genius. I wish I had thought of it.

Agreed that BAT is enormously successful. Even more so thanks to the pandemic. I was not knocking their success. Do you really think they need to “build traffic” on their site? Even if they did I don’t think listing questionable cars that get heavily criticized is a good way to do it. They ended up pulling the e9 with two VINs. It’s quite obvious they’re not the “sellers”. They turn down many cars for reasons they don’t disclose and that’s fine. Why? Because they want cars the will sell. Thats how they maximize their revenues. They’re a for profit business. My point is they should know a badly restored car will not sell unless there is a low or no reserve and act accordingly. If you‘re saying that sometimes they’re happy to just take the $99 listing fee and then let the “peanut gallery” have at it, then they’re successful in spite of themselves.

Last edited:

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Agreed that BAT is enormously successful. Even more so thanks to the pandemic. I was not knocking their success. Do you really think they need to “build traffic” on their site? Even if they did I don’t think listing questionable cars that get heavily criticized is a good way to do it. They ended up pulling the e9 with two VINs. It’s quite obvious they’re not the “sellers”. They turn down many cars for reasons they don’t disclose and that’s fine. Why? Because they want cars the will sell. Thats how they maximize their revenues. They’re a for profit business. My point is they should know a badly restored car will not sell unless there is a low or no reserve and act accordingly. If you‘re saying that sometimes they’re happy to just take the $99 listing fee and then let the “peanut gallery” have at it, then they’re successful in spite of themselves.
Remember this seller had 3 cars on BaT. They likely wanted that Lancia 2000 on there so were willing to accept the other bombs the seller had. I'm not sure they would have accepted that 2800 by itself. What a pig. That seller should have taken the money and RUN...

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Remember this seller had 3 cars on BaT. They likely wanted that Lancia 2000 on there so were willing to accept the other bombs the seller had. I'm not sure they would have accepted that 2800 by itself. What a pig. That seller should have taken the money and RUN...
Good point. That Lancia brought $28K. Very nice car.
I’m going to bed. :)