Reducing Interior Noise

The seals between the engine and the internal firewall where the fan motor sits can affect noise a lot. I found the factory products didn't seal well and I played around with profiles which did seal. Any gaps will let the engine and header noises in the car.

As for wind noise, the wipers, the window seals and the side windows generate a lot of noise. The worse culprit was the gulley with the chrome trim which runs the length of the windows over the top. I used expanded neoprene tubing with a closed cell and fitted this within the gulley which prevented a significant amount of noise from the front and now keeps out water.

oh no !

Thanks for the update! I may try this on my E12 and my 911. On a related note, can someone suggest an appropriate adhesive or other method for holding down the rain gutter trim? I think there are supposed to be clips and I may be missing those, but if I can do it with a removable adhesive I'd rather do that. mine floats in the middle of its length.

The rain gutter just clips in place over the edge by itself. No clips.

If the trim fits over the edge but doesn't grip, then the trim pice was bent open too far during removal.
If the trim can't even slide over the metal roof edge, it may have been build up with too much/thick paint or filler.

NOS is available from W&N I believe. Not cheap.
If your trim is still looking very OK, ofcourse you can just caulk it, and hold it with tape untill it sets. If you're a precise guy, one might never ever be able to spot the caulck.

Last edited:
Ah, thanks - I didn't think of just bending it back in over that lip. I'll do that - it does fit over the edge. Trim is in great shape, just a little loose.

Back