Registry

TodB

Reaction score
I am all for a populated Registry, but IMO, some of us are waaaay too aggressive on "signing up" coupes for the Registry but done with good intentions. I really think it should be up to the owner to (choose to) sign up their own car rather than someone here signing up every Ebay or other car that comes down the pike.

What happens if one of these cars sell and the new owner tries create a registry entry? I am assuming that it will kick because the VIN already exists in the Registry? If not, it should. The new owner will not be able to update the entry because it already exists.

BTW, I am not knocking the Registry at all. I think its terrific.

Thoughts?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If an existing entry is duplicated (car/VIN moves from one owner or Seen in Ad to a new owner) we archive the old entry automatically and add the new record. If there is a dispute the registrars can use a special account to fix everything as needed. I think that in these cases (a car changes owner), we should probably send a confirmation email to the old owner of record to confirm. It isn't perfect but it is workable and we never lose records (fingers crossed)

But we are always evolving the process.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I am all for a populated Registry, but IMO, some of us are waaaay too aggressive on "signing up" coupes for the Registry but done with good intentions. I really think it should be up to the owner to (choose to) sign up their own car rather than someone here signing up every Ebay or other car that comes down the pike.

What happens if one of these cars sell and the new owner tries create a registry entry? I am assuming that it will kick because the VIN already exists in the Registry? If not, it should. The new owner will not be able to update the entry because it already exists.

BTW, I am not knocking the Registry at all. I think its terrific.

Thoughts?

This is a good point and Stan has explained what we believe happens (only one instance so far). We were torn over how to handle this and this is exactly why the registry became broken into two parts: Official and Seen-In-Ad/Other. The records are all in a single database but there are a few status fields to allow proper sorting. The problem with posting advertised coupes which then become sold to a new owner is no different than a coupe passing from one person to another. Out goal is to always allow the new owner to have priority but we also don't want to lose the old record for historical reasons. We have an auto-archive function for this purpose and we have some simple administrative tools to undo mistakes. In all cases any problem can be correct by contacting the Registry directly (or dropping a PM to me).

It seems like the registry is operating smoothly now and it is exciting to see all of the data being collected. Please don't be shy about making suggestions, we are trying to be very responsive to all ideas.

TodB

Reaction score
My concern is not around those coupes that change hands that already have Registry entries but about third party posting those that are "Seen in Ads", crushed, etc. Other than running up the count of the coupes listed which I think is the secret goal, what's the purpose? If a coupe sells and the new owner wants to post his coupe and info here, it should be his/her decision. We should not be cruising the 'net looking for VINs and coupes to add to the Registry. There are those owners who visit here who do not want to publish their info for whatever reason and that should be their decision. They should not come to this site and find their car on the Registry posted on their behalf nor should they be reminded to register each time they post. A subtle reminder and link when they initially register for the site is enough. There is always the link at the top. If they want to add their coupe to the Register, they will.

Again, let me be clear that I am not knocking the Registry at all. I think it is a terrific and probably long overdue addition to the site and my hat is off to those who have made it happen so quickly and effectively. I just think we are being a bit overzealous with some of the non owner entries. My opinion only. I only wish more owners published picture of their coupes on it.

runner

Reaction score
I agree with this as stated. And, also, many thanks for the efforts taht have been done, but it should be up to the owner in the end.

My concern is not around those coupes that change hands that already have Registry entries but about third party posting those that are "Seen in Ads", crushed, etc. Other than running up the count of the coupes listed which I think is the secret goal, what's the purpose? If a coupe sells and the new owner wants to post his coupe and info here, it should be his/her decision. We should not be cruising the 'net looking for VINs and coupes to add to the Registry. There are those owners who visit here who do not want to publish their info for whatever reason and that should be their decision. They should not come to this site and find their car on the Registry posted on their behalf nor should they be reminded to register each time they post. A subtle reminder and link when they initially register for the site is enough. There is always the link at the top. If they want to add their coupe to the Register, they will.

Again, let me be clear that I am not knocking the Registry at all. I think it is a terrific and probably long overdue addition to the site and my hat is off to those who have made it happen so quickly and effectively. I just think we are being a bit overzealous with some of the non owner entries. My opinion only. I only wish more owners published picture of their coupes on it.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think that by capturing the Seen in Ads it helps give us an idea of how many coupes might still exist. We probably don't need the entire ad posted though. My 2 cents.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gone Forever

Over the past months I have spoken with a few guys who have parted out cars then sent the remains to the crusher but did not want to take the time to register these cars. I offered and they provided the VINs.