Reinforcing trunk liners

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I took a side piece out of my trunk a couple of days ago to wash and start prepping the area. The piece itself is (was) in good condition. I was handling it very gently, but it now has a crack in it. These pieces are extremely brittle and I fear removing the larger wheel well covers intact. If I get it out without breaking does anyone think they could be reinforced with a brush on coating on the back side? Maybe a resin or fibreglass type product. Mine seem to be in good shape and I would much rather keep them than get new ones. Just trying to figure how they can last till say 2032 or so.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
good idea - maybe a flexible coating of some sort? I got my wheel well and other cover skins off without cracking but I needed to use a long piece of cardboard and a plastic scraper at times to gently separate the skin from its adhesive - it may come off easily in parts or need cajoling with a makeshift tool as above to prevent cracking - depending on your situation.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A thought

The wheel well in my 3.0 was very pitted so after I cleaned it out I coated the bottom half of the well with "Herculiner" Some of it dripped out onto the floor and after it dried I scraped up the "puddle" and it was like a custom rubber mat, in the shape of a puddle of course. Interestingly enough it also took the pattern of the floor so the method might work to make small custom rubber parts. I think if you gently brushed a coating on the material you speak of it might provide the strength and flexibility you're looking for.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good idea Peter. Another possibility , I just remembered I have an unopened container of Plasti Dip. It is a liquid rubber you can dip tools into to make a rubber coating. You can apply it with a brush.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I didn't have that one, but did have something similar called Incredible Edibles. To this day the Purple Bug I made is one of the foulest things I have tasted.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah Doug, I think you would need something to reinforce like fibreglass, otherwise it would just crack yet be held together by the rubber like substance. Thanks for the link to the local supplier.

No snow here....I mean none .

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
I don't think fiberglass would be a very good idea. I think the covers need to be flexible to be able to reinstall them.

I was thinking of contact cementing some sort of fabric onto the back surfaces.

61porsche

Reaction score
+1 for flexible

to some extent. Perhaps some of the light weight 4 way stretch upholstery. I still believe you need to use some "superglue" on the crack if it's a clean break. Most hobby shops now carry a two part with the activator a spray.

What is the proper color for the trim of these panels? WHite, off white, cream? Anyone dyed theirs yet? SEM?

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Spray on rubber?

What about the spray on rubber being advertised on tv (also available at Home Depot)... you could reinforce a crack by gluing and backing it with some mesh before applying a couple coats of the rubber spray. You could top coat it (it's black) with the gray when you do the exposed side.