Relay Box Colour in CSI/CSL Engine Bay

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The three relays at the front of the engine bay are a point of contention - see snap below.

The two round ones are clearly silver from factory - but what about the third rectangular unit - some on t etema think black - others silver.

What do others think/know,
Relays.jpg
please?

Many thanks

David

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Because mine has been repainted and the underlying aluminium is of poor quality - we are trying to find a replacement. If anyone has one, please PM me.

Thanks all.

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Many many thanks - we need to strip the silver paint, however, the underlying aluminium is pitted so we are seeking a new one - locally and if not available in Oz, we will get one of these - postage is nearly 60USD from the US - it must be getting its own seat!.

lloyd

Reaction score
Many European cars, including Mercedes, VW, Volvo used the same or similar style voltage regulator. Most wore a band of yellow sealing tape. However, other colors of tape were used too, e.g., green, orange, white. I believe the tape color indicated a difference in voltage settings or possibly noise suppression. Bosch produced the majority of regulators, but I seem to recall observing one or two units bearing a Beru stamping.

001.jpg

s-l225.jpg

voltage_reg_mount.jpg

RegInternals.jpg

A common replacement was this shorter transistorized style that was sealed in epoxy and featured a screw by which to adjust the voltage setting.
AdjVR-0071.jpg

There were obviously black colored Bosch voltage regulators, but of a different style than used on E9s.
s-l640.jpg

Last edited: