Removing subframes, motor in place, car on jack stands

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I should call this... project Cape Breton coal miner, My plan is a general refurb underneath and bushing and linkage renewal. So far under the dirt my Coupe appears to be pretty good. I'd like to remove the subframes for refinishing and leave the motor in place. Is this feasible? Can the motor sit on it's oil pan safely with suitable structure underneath, or does the slant of the motor mean it will want to tip over?

As for the rear, do you need to use spring compressors before unbolting the sub frame (Is it under tension while suspended?)
I'll most likely powder coat the subframes. the front still looks pretty decent after using Varsol to cut through the grime.

Tia

tempImage8FQPuT.png

skk

Site Donor
Reaction score
@sfdon : I have what appears to be the same engine balancer purchased from Harbor Freight. Vevor direct is problematic- I had a poor experience with the Vevor powered 100' sewer snake machine. Can't believe I'm saying this, but here goes: Buy this tool from Harbor Freight, the support experience is better.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
We don't have Harbor Freight in Canada. We do have Princess Auto, who sell a similar grade of stuff painted Blue under the Power Fist label.