Replace old Seat Belt Webbing

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am looking to replace what I believe is the 52 year old webbing in my 72 Bavaria front seat belts. I remember there was a guy who did that but it was a while ago.

Anyone have any leads?

Steve

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is a great idea. When I first bought my car, I looked up the projected useful life of the webbing originally installed on our cars - 25 years. Seat belts are the second most important safety item on our cars (Tires are first).

jefflit

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've had great luck with Snake-Oyl for other makes, especially impossible to find buckle parts and re-webbing with original-style reproduction DOT tags, etc.

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Seat Belt planet was AMAZING. I had mind custom made and only paid $242.30 Steve Perkrul spent many hours helping me get the perfect belt since they did not have a off the shelf solution. Mine are exact copies of the 1971 belts that were orginally in the car. Phone is 405-736-0088 [email protected]

PS he did tell me if they are 50 years old they proably will fail

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. @Ohmess, did you reweb?
I removed my old seat belts and installed a set of Schrott rally harnesses. I got this idea from Mario Langston at VSR - there was a car in his shop that Mario had put these in for a customer that he showed me when giving me a tour.

Ohmes.BMW.3-2021-16.jpg

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
+ 35 @bluedevils! Al restored my ‘02 Tii Autoflug belts & retractors better than new.

VSR put de-badged Schroth belts in Athena in 2016. Chris Langsten was a good sport about removing all 4 bright black & yellow Schroth belt logos.

IMG_1650.jpg
IMG_9753.jpg
IMG_9754.jpg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, thanks to Andrew for the tip about the removal of the bright yellow logo. It was ugly.

Note that in Andrew's pictures you can see the inertial reel mounted on the rear parcel shelf, which locks up with abrupt movement and in the event of an accident pulls you into the seat. The retracting component of the inertial reels is activated by either of two hidden yaw sensors (that have to be installed properly in order for the system to work). Otherwise, the inertial reels are more relaxed than those found in modern BMWs; they almost never lock up when moving normally.

I think this is the safest setup you can put into a coupe.

dbower

Reaction score
Yes, thanks to Andrew for the tip about the removal of the bright yellow logo. It was ugly.

Note that in Andrew's pictures you can see the inertial reel mounted on the rear parcel shelf, which locks up with abrupt movement and in the event of an accident pulls you into the seat. The retracting component of the inertial reels is activated by either of two hidden yaw sensors (that have to be installed properly in order for the system to work). Otherwise, the inertial reels are more relaxed than those found in modern BMWs; they almost never lock up when moving normally.

I think this is the safest setup you can put into a coupe.
The downside (safety-wise) to Andrew's installation is the lack of structural support for the shoulder belts where they pass over the seatbacks. In a significant frontal crash, this installation will compress the spine (esp for taller occupants). The shoulder belt tail is nearly horizontal to the rear deck, which is much safer than some of the installations I've seen where that tail goes to the rear seat bight, or worse, the base of the B pillar. Note that most "racing" seats have dedicated (reinforced) slots for 4-point shoulder belts.