Replacement for Window Brush 51211816761

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Another option. I went to the Steele website and found https://www.steelerubber.com/beltline-weatherstrip-70-0555-58. Slightly narrower (9/16th) than I wanted but works well. I recovered the original brush steel frame with black mohair that I had left over from redoing my seats and left room to mount this. Sorry for the lousy image.

IMG_1185 (1).JPG
1595254990535.png

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Another option. I went to the Steele website and found https://www.steelerubber.com/beltline-weatherstrip-70-0555-58. Slightly narrower (9/16th) than I wanted but works well. I recovered the original brush steel frame with black mohair that I had left over from redoing my seats and left room to mount this. Sorry for the lousy image.

View attachment 97765View attachment 97766
Yes, Steele has a number of products that work well on our cars. The window channel product it great. Sorry don't have the number in front of me. It was a year ago.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have used the window channel and it is awesome. Perfect fit, easy to work with, cost effective etc. No downside. Just saw people looking for the window brush and no definitive solution offered.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have used the window channel and it is awesome. Perfect fit, easy to work with, cost effective etc. No downside. Just saw people looking for the window brush and no definitive solution offered.
Thanks Bob, I sometimes forget I posted stuff. Senior moment... ;)

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rob--My car needs those window brushes (felt) on both sides. The 51 21 816 761 is the left side and 762 is the right side. Do you or Gary recall the Steel part #?
Is it 70-0555-58 ?
I also need the rubber that's in front of the brush--OEM # 51 21 6 754 323 left 324 right. Did you get that from Steel? Thanks, Drew

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, Steele has a number of products that work well on our cars. The window channel product it great. Sorry don't have the number in front of me. It was a year ago.
Gary--See if you have a part # if it's different from Rob's # 70-0555-58. Thanks, Drew

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drew, I saved the metal substrate (see image #1) of the original brush to which I glued 70-0555-58 to the front of( see image #2). The rubber that is in front that you refer to, basically a sweeper for the outside of the window, is available from W&N and that is where I got mine.

Can someone tell me if the entire unit=sweep/brush/chrome is held onto the car door with clips or just pushed on. My car came with both of these off, no clips. no clip marks. What are those cut outs (red circle image #1) from the original substrate the OEM brush was on, for a Clip?

One more question. The W&N rubber sweep extends beyond the door window ( ends where the brush ends in #3) and partially across the vent window . Roger S. sent me image #4 and his is cut at the window's edge (blue arrow) and then resumes along the base of the vent window (red arrow), gap is where the vertical part of the vent window is. Which is it?

InkedIMG_1195(1)_LI.jpg
IMG_1196.JPG
IMG_1201.JPG
Inked61721828409__DDED4CFE-CDC3-42D7-9FA0-4489685E0CF6(1)_LI.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1195(1).JPG
    IMG_1195(1).JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 61721828409__DDED4CFE-CDC3-42D7-9FA0-4489685E0CF6(1).jpeg
    61721828409__DDED4CFE-CDC3-42D7-9FA0-4489685E0CF6(1).jpeg
    20.8 KB · Views: 137

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have only two of those but I have a bunch of these.........not sure what car they belong to. I guess I can cut the lip off of them or perhaps some form of trade or if anyone else needs the ones I have, I can pass them on.
IMG_1203.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1203.JPG
    IMG_1203.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 151

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rob, Chris, I have done an almost thorough search for part #'s 9,10,11,12 on page 41/14. Replies from the parts dept at my local BMW shop, Coupe King, Korman, and Carl Nelson and W&N found this: # 10 is a clip that holds everything together--10 per side. I bought that from W&N. #12 is rubber available from W&N. I bought that also and took both items to the restoration shop this morning. #11 is that brush that's NLA from every source above. #9 is the rubber under the wing window that is also NLA form all sources. Carl Nelson is fabricating #9 from inner tube rubber per his email reply to me.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Then I saw this link from Maximillian giving a price for the brush # 11.

His site uses the realoem.com site with his prices for items thought to be available. I have found some other parts listed as available on his site only to find that not to be current.
It's best to call before ordering. Note even his site does not show #9 as available.
The #11 brush will be the Steele rubber alternative on my car. The restoration shop showed me the same type of felt-lined material they have accumulated from past restorations.
Here's a pic of the car this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_1664(1).jpg
    IMG_1664(1).jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 143

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I read the other parts as left and right. I ordered 10 per side by mistake of # 10. I now have 10 extra so Rob does not need to cut off those clips in the photos.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just checked. The rubber sweep from W&N is 4.5 inches longer than needed. The distance from the red arrow in my picture above, to the gasket of the vent window is 4.5 inches. So Chris, I think W&N may supply both as one part ( the NLA part you refer to) but it comes as one piece. It is tight, but it does fit between the chrome trim piece and the vent window....................

I am still not understanding the point of the felt once you have replaced the brush on the "u" shaped metal substrate.

Drew, if you are willing to ship the clips, let me know cost and shipping.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The rubber sweep is sold by the meter, 27” needed by the window. The 10” piece under the vent window is narrower as it doesn’t have to reach far like the door glass. The brush is held by those clips under/below the rubber sweep as it makes contact to the glass. Same as in a 2002 except that is a one piece affair for the entire sweep.

image.jpg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks. I may take the old sweep I have that is ok the vertical portion will fit, just cut and notch the lip . What becomes clear is that despite the myriad of gaskets for the doors and windows, there are inherent gaps...........ie garage the car, don't drive in the rain.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

View attachment 97765View attachment 97766
the picture quality is to small and very bad cant see a thing what do you use to take a picture