reproduction Idea - Under riders

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Many of us have the rear bumper under riders in less-than pristine condition. Especially the driver's side, probably due to the exhaust pipe heating the metal, condensation etc. Don't know, not a metalurgist.

Anyway, I may be able to get them reproduced in stainless steel. The rubber strip is still available from BMW.
The under riders are available too at $225.00 each. plus the rubber at about $70.00

Who would be in at a price point of $200.00 a side including the rubber?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pricing

I thought the BMW price for underbidders was approaching $400 a side.
I'll try searching harder.

Last edited:

pamp

Reaction score
Last I heard from Dan K. (coupeguy) he has the rear underriders available....price I am not sure. He is also working on repro bumpers, these would all be steel and chrome. ( I did the research on the stainless quite a while ago, the e-bay seller worked with Ron P. as he donated a pair of bumpers for that repro job) As most know, I do some tubes as to fit the front bumper pre 1973 to the DOT car so I have interest in the bumper conversion. Sorry I did not pipe in sooner, but I had a health scare.....I am fine now and back to 'coupeing!

pamp

Reaction score
A very good point J, and I said so myself. The market would be with the many DOT 1974-1976 2002 cars. This is EZ....google "kuhlauto" and you will find out the contact info for the seller of the stainless e-bay pieces. Beware as this guy is hard to contact.
Dan K. has those back pieces.... I did a delete for those, my personal taste.

jmackro

Reaction score
A very good point J, and I said so myself. The market would be with the many DOT 1974-1976 2002 cars. This is EZ....google "kuhlauto" and you will find out the contact info for the seller of the stainless e-bay pieces.

Glad to hear you think my point was good - upon re-reading it, I decided it wasn't all that good and deleted it!

My thought was: If Stan wants stainless steel e9 bumper components, rather than starting from scratch, why not see if the company already offering stainless steel e9 bumpers already makes the under riders, or would be willing to add them to its product line. I am referring to Kuhoauto, the folks at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUMPER-SET-BMW-3-0CS-3-0-CSi-2800CS-NEW-STAINLESS-STEEL-ONE-WEEK-SALE/330931873944?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D8699238412077234230%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D141005280609%26

Last edited:

pamp

Reaction score
My message is for Stan actually....Dan K. has four sets available....NOS @$400 per pair and a source for more....no reason to do a repro show at this point as the market is small and Dan has it covered. As I may have said, I prefer no bumperettes on the rear....CSL look and really they are kind of an add on and do nothing but hang off the bumper...I would rather be hit without the extra insult....my 2 cents. But we have already contacted Paul of Kuhlauto last year (Moniker "Made in China") Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Any interest in under riders?

Looking into reproduction
kuhlauto does not have them
$400.00 a pair is too much

So, is there any interest in $200 a pair?

I am going without for now. I kinda like the look but also like the original look.....
Once the holes are drilled then the decision is final so I am waiting.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe I just got lucky, but I think I only paid about $100/pr for mine. They needed chrome (another $100 probably). While I appreciate the effort guys put into making parts, I'm just not sure there is a market for these.

Somebody was looking into SS seat rail covers again recently. That, is something I think there is a market for. Not sure what happened to that effort....