Restauration question #1 - adding cut to the window frame ?

feri

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for some help for a man who is currently restoring az e9. He was wondering why are there not V shaped cut on the front window frame on the right and the left side (shown at the pictures). It seems to be logical: there is a "rubber frame" you have to put to the window, but what will happen if the water goes under this rubber frame ?

I would like to hear your opinion about this question. Also I would like to ask such factory / unrestored e9 picture where this parts of the car body can been (pictures below), please post the pictures here, or to my email address please: [email protected]

[Broken External Image]:http://www.capabmw.hu/e9forum/window1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.capabmw.hu/e9forum/window2.jpg

Malc

Reaction score
There is no "drain V" at the point you indicate as it would have to be very deep to drain any water out from the back of the seal area, In addition such a drain V would let water in.

I would not recommend adding one either, Why? Well I have a Lancia Delta Integrale and Lancia in their wisdom decided to put small drain tubes in the bottom of the seal area just at the base of the A-pillar - result blocked tubes and rust in an area that is extremely difficult to repair - I should know.....

Once you have cured any rust and painted the area use a good modern flexible sealer under the rubber with the windscreen back in, should keep the water out.

HTH
Malc

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
No "V's"--agree with Malcolm--it's a bad idea

With metal surfaces properly prepped and front and rear seals carefully and correctly installed with locking trim strips in place--if living in a mild climate without extreme sun exposure--not California, Arizona or Nevada deserts--a 20 year useful life for non leaking seals can reasonably be expected--especially if the car is garaged when not in use.

During restoration suggest thorough power/steam clean of undercarriage and complete removal of all accumulated silt from beneath outer rocker covers and all crevices in, around and beneath the body--there are plenty of hiding places--follow by an appropriate modern rubberized undercoating or suitable corrosion protection for your climate conditions--don't forget inside door bottoms and inner quarter areas as they will again accumulate silt+water and become vulnerable to the tin worm--Karmann was not noted for much original corrosion protection of these bodies--so go way beyond and treat all areas that showed any sign of significant rust while everything is clean and open.

after all this--to extend the useful life of your efforts--would suggest minimal driving in the rain and only the minimum amount of water over the top when cleaning the car--avoids filling inner door and quarter areas that will hold water as well--remember--they stopped making E-9's over 30 years ago.

The above--JMT--based on first hand experience of 35 years of continuous Coupe ownership and over 500,000 seat miles in E-9's--once had 3 of them in my care--now only caretaking my first one--the BLUMAX with 405,000 miles--have learned many lessons the hard way in the care and upkeep of these beauties--bad at the beginning--better now--and pleased to share what little I know with open minds desiring to keep them going!