Restoration Update (front wheel well)

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the aluminum closure strip I fabricated. It is from 1/16" aluminum. There is a 'U' channel neoprene gasket along the fender edge and a closed cell 1/4" foam strip along the back inside edge (pressed against the 'A' pillar). The five 6 mm studs were welded on earlier in the restoration. This should keep most of the debris and occasional water out of this area. It is easily removable to inspect and/or clean out. Cavity wax was liberally applied to these dark recesses. The "cave" opening was closed up earlier. The small pipe hanging down from the "cave" bottom plate is the new front drain for the sunroof.

Attachments

• TheVoid.jpg
    TheVoid.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 230
  • ClosureStripsBare.jpg
    ClosureStripsBare.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 241
  • ClosureStripWgasket.jpg
    ClosureStripWgasket.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 232
  • UpperClosure.jpg
    UpperClosure.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 220

61porsche

Reaction score
Dissimilar metals warning

It looks really great.

My only concern is that there is something between the two metals. ( Paint, undercoating, gasket from roofing paper, etc.)

Take it from an ex Healey guy- alum shroud, metal fenders, moisture= nasty white corrosion possible. I had to chisel parts off!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
so did you make a template to produce these pieces? something tells me there might be a readymade market for them.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Jerry - There is about an 1/8" gap between the back of the aluminum and the 'A' pillar. Basically the head of the welded-on bolt acts as a standoff. There is two-part primer and undercoating on this as well. + sprayed the threads with cavity wax before putting on nuts.

rsporsche - I have a card board template that required some fine tuning on the final aluminum pieice. So just the original pieces for now. I want to test them out for a year or so to see how effective (or not) they are. I also run with the volvo plastic liners.