Retractable seat belts for sedan (E3)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
My '69 E3 has non-retractable seat belts and I'd like to change to retractable. Are they the same as coupe belts and do you guys have any suggestions where to source them?

Dan

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just measure from mount on rocker to b pillar mount (remove cover to see the mount, I can’t remember if fixed shoulder belt was roof mounted though?) and then across you legs to tunnel, just gives him a general idea. I haven’t seen ours in 2 1/2 years, OCCoupe has it.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My car came to me with both the original non retractable and aftermarket retractable. I installed the aftermarket retractable. My base unit (roller) does not fit behind the B pillar cover...

IMG_4680.jpeg

If you don't have this kind of cover, or would be satisfied with ones like mine, I can get you pictures, measurements and maybe even a PN. They are generic, off the shelf models.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It takes too much to modify an e3 to fit the retractor behind that cover, I have a set of blue covers with that slot if anyone is interested. Our retractor is mounted far enough back of the seat on the rocker to not interfere.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
But there are OEM retractables or the E3, I have them on my 72 and my cover is the same as above. I assume we are talking fronts.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here are mine installed...

IMG_6188.jpeg

IMG_6197.jpeg
IMG_6190.jpeg

IMG_6192.jpeg

The inboard cable ends replace the chrome "hoop" of the non retractables in the same holes

Note there are plugs in the holes in the B pillar cover...not grommets. This tells me the original non retractables did not install under the B pillar cover but rather in the same threaded holes I used for the inertial retractors.

The upper mount uses the current threaded hole in the B pillar and corresponding hole in the B pillar cover.

The retractors do not hit the seat in the rearmost position.

The belt is approximately 125" long.

I couldn't find a PN or manufacturer on mine, but they look exactly like these...

I'm sure there are lots of companies selling similar.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dick, Yes, plugs and mounts are there. It wasn’t until later that the e3 got the internally mounted retractors, maybe all had them, but fixed belts had the rocker mount.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 1972 single owner car. I do not believe my pillar covers have been replaced. Yet another BMW "do what you feel with car construction at the moment" I guess.
IMG_1810.jpg

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
My belts are a little longer than 125 but the shoulder mount is next to the roof and not on the B pillar. I think the recepticle should be around 12" long. I'll see how they work out.

IMG_20210419_184532551.jpg

Last edited:

Honolulu

Reaction score
After I swapped the original non-retractable belts for a retractable set from another Bimmer, I got nothing but complaints that the location of the belt choked my wife's neck. But at 6'6" I don't notice. YMMV.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
After I swapped the original non-retractable belts for a retractable set from another Bimmer, I got nothing but complaints that the location of the belt choked my wife's neck. But at 6'6" I don't notice. YMMV.
I was wondering about that. It's a little strange that the belts mount on the roof but the B pillar trim has a recessed area where the shoulder mount would go. All the interior is original in my car so they either had newer trim already available and didn't have the mount done, or there's a mount under the trim. I'm too lazy to check. LOL