RHD 72' up on eBay

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it is the same car :

http://www.coys.co.uk/cars/1972-bmw-e9-csi-right-hand-drive#

This car sold for £31K at the auction I attended. Another forum member then saw it sold the following day for £24k at the same auction. None of this makes any sense. Maybe the first buyer pulled out, and the second time it didn't hit the reserve. Plus it didn't sell at the auction back in December…

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know…why would anyone a roof like that?

Anyone with any experience of these things know how easy it would be to convert back to no sunroof?

@Cornishman has a car with a same/ similar sunroof. These type were ‘popular’ in the 70’s as an after market sunroof.
Brita in the UK and Webasto in Germany. To eliminate that you’d most likely have to replace the whole roof.

https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/webasto-subroof-wind-noise-fix-needed.30041/#post-242035

Rek

Reaction score
I've also got a 70's aftermarket sunroof which I don't really know what to do with. Replace with correct one, or get rid entirely?

Any thoughts?

IMG_4992.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4992.JPG
    IMG_4992.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 272

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Replace with correct one, or get rid entirely?

Hi Rek,
Both ideas would require a whole new roof. Finding a non sunroof roof will probably be easier since the sunroof ones are generally quite rusty. Not the easiest task in finding and replacing the roof, headliner, painting (to match the rest of the car won’t be easy either) apart from the cost factor. Your car looks too good to restart the process IMHO.
Keshav

Simufly

Reaction score
I've also got a 70's aftermarket sunroof which I don't really know what to do with. Replace with correct one, or get rid entirely?

Any thoughts?

View attachment 60701
Looks ok to me. There doesnt appear to be any corrosion so if its watertight I would stick with it. BTW your wiper arms are on the wrong side, the spoiler one should be on the left!

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
When the sunroof starts leaking

I would remove the whole sunroof and make it a non sunroof model

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Keep it. Maybe paint the surrounding trim the same color as the roof? That silver trim stands out too much.

But I would if it was mine, replace it with an aftermarket power sunroof. Get a OEM sunroof header/visor panel so it looks more OEM.

This one looks pretty convincing.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-bmw-2800-cs-6/

But again, it'd be better if it had an OEM visor panel and switch in the right location.

Rek

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I think it might have a small leak so a decision might be forced on me. I will consider the good ideas.

I am also confused on the windscreen wipers. The drivers side does not have great coverage so it might be the wrong way round. I might try them out.

Simufly

Reaction score
It should? The spoiler one is for the drivers side so for RHD’s on the right side, no?
They are a slightly different shape, in that the spolier arm is slightly more "bent " than the other. The spoiler on the LHS allows both arms to sit lower and more parallel to the base of the screen. As can be seen on your car the spoiler on the RHS means the outboard end hits the base trim . The later wiper arms are different and are the same shape but early ones like yours are handed.
In any case the spoiler makes bu**er all difference in my experience and as has been mentioned the wiper system in general is not very good with limited clearing for RHD cars, and hardly brilliant for LHD versions. A compromise, which I use, is a slightly larger blade on the drivers side. Remember the 50 year old system is not that powerful and very large blades will put considerable extra strain on the motor and linkages.
Simple answer dont drive in the rain!

Last edited:

damienh

Reaction score
Cover with a vinyl roof if you really hate it Rek ? I had a CS a while back in this colour and it had a light grey / blue vinyl roof, sounds odd but I really liked it.