RHD CSi for sale at auction

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Already much discussed in a thread I created here :

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
For £100,000 I would expect a perfect car and I wouldn't want to wait 4 years for it. Some BS here.
What garage takes 4yrs to do a full nut and bolt resto on a E9 or any other car ???

I know of private individuals who have taken 2,3yrs to do a full resto's on their classic car's.....

Reactions: Rek

Obsession

Reaction score
That is my old CSI.

I thought I recognised the number plate.

Instant regret after I sold it in 2014 to it seems the current owner.

I sold it for £10,000

Rough in places, ie functional repairs but the bulkhead was perfect. Rear outer sills were patched. Inner front wing were Good/not patched or repaired.

Engine ran well.

It definitely didn't need 100K in restoration.

Last edited:

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That is my old CSI.

I thought I recognised the number plate.

Instant regret after I sold it in 2014 to it seems the current owner.

I sold it for £10,000

Rough in places, ie functional repairs but the bulkhead was perfect. Rear outer sills were patched. Inner front wing were Good/not patched or repaired.

Engine ran well.

It definitely didn't need 100K in restoration.
Who makes a total investment of 110k
100k, (alleged ) resto costs
10k purchase price

And reserve set at less than 50% of 110k..

Unless you are shitting money everyday, or just like wasting it

Low reserve makes no sense ?,
unless the car has had some resto on it and cost is 10k and some how their is a error in the advert ie 10,000, to 100,000
Or
Seller , auction are telling porkies !!!

day66

Reaction score
Just looking at the auction results - interesting as 3 CSIs were scheduled to be sold.

Looks like this one didn't sell, the Fjord project that had appeared on Ebay and elsewhere made £16,800 and the Taiga one that seems to be for sale everywhere and forever, was withdrawn!

I'm kind of thinking you can sell a project, but these freshly restored cars aren't popular with buyers ...

Obsession

Reaction score
Im going to see the car tomorrow.

Why? I don't know. It was my old car but want to see evidence of the restoration work. The left rear sill looks less than straight?

I also googled the "restorer" and nothing turned up.

The engine bay shows signed of restoration/spot welds but the turret tops look odd (They have been replaced at some point)which I do remember being a feature of the car when I had it.

Ill let you know how I get on.

The car had good bones but depends on how well its been "restored" and whether it makes it worth a bid.

Obsession

Reaction score
I went to see the car...

The poor man did spent close to 100K and it still needs alot of work bodily to the point of strip down and repaint in my opinion.

Silver is hard to paint anyway because of the way the metallic particles fall in the paint suspension.

But...Overspray? on the rubbers.

Bulging body lines at the top of the front wings where its supposed to be lead loaded to the A pillar.

Rippled body as you look down it. All restoration rookie errors.

Rear turrets were repaired poorly, prior to my ownership. Not done.

Other detail things. Think the restorer is good at some things and not so good on alot of other things. Enthusiam over expertise is the best way to describe it.

Im going to make the owner an offer as its my old car and for no other reason. It'll be a daily driver with a view to spending lots of money on it again eventually or I do it and document on youtube.

If he says no. I will try and goto see the RHD CSL that came up for sale the other day in Somerset on the site (if the gentleman replys)

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Their is a silver CSL for sale on car and Classic site ...

I know of 2 Csl owners , who are thinking of selling their cars this year , due to having no time to drive them and they wish to reduce their car collection ... if they decide to sell and you are still looking to buy a Csl , I will pm you there details !!!

thank you for your detailed opinion on your old csi , you once owned !!!

their are certain people on here that put their cars for sale and then do not reply back to questions about their car !!!

just wastes every one’s time !!!

Obsession

Reaction score
Their is a silver CSL for sale on car and Classic site ...

I know of 2 Csl owners , who are thinking of selling their cars this year , due to having no time to drive them and they wish to reduce their car collection ... if they decide to sell and you are still looking to buy a Csl , I will pm you there details !!!

thank you for your detailed opinion on your old csi , you once owned !!!

their are certain people on here that put their cars for sale and then do not reply back to questions about their car !!!

just wastes every one’s time !!!

Hi.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes. Id be interested in the CSL's if they coming up for sale and thank you for thinking of me!!

The world is going mad with Corona, The economy is shutting down. Ive had all work cancelled till the end of April, at least. Its looking dicey...

Typically. Ive got the chance to buy a 912/6 california car. 1969 so the coolest one to have. Needs a small amount of repair work to the firewall and the front tank support but its been done very nicely and its a california car so rust free as these Karmann built cars can be

But...The E9. Something about them,

Knowing how badly they rust, the restoration has to be done correctly and thats what Im after.

A well restored car.

My old CSi. Good bones. the execution was a flop. Even the engine was grumpy to start. Unfortunately. The owner had his pants pulled down by the restorer (in my opinion)

I think everyone has been in that situation where someone you trusted then takes you for a ride financially.

But there still are good people out there who understand these cars and the attention to detail is as obsessive as ours when it comes to our E9s.

Obsession

Reaction score
ps.

The Silver E9 on car and classic sold for 95K. I went to see it. Very similar in appearance in the way the restoration was done.

Im no expert but like to understand the techniques involved with restoration.

That CSL. The paint wasnt perfect in the door shuts. Runs etc

Heavy underseal in the arch areas which is no bad thing. But you weren't able to see any previous sheet metal repairs. ie patch panels or complete sections and if they were lap welded or butt welded (Which is a bug bear of mine) The welds always have to be butt welded and ground back so its invisible

These cars will never be perfect. I understand that. They were hand built but when your restoring a car. You are dealing with people who have a huge amount of experience and patience.

But they can be resistant to change. adopting new technology only because they are old school.

Technology is too much and varied to understand which to use and when and they are desgined to have engineered obsolescence. (like washing machines. They can make one that lasts forever but its makes no financial sense to them. So they build in a life expectancy and failure so we have to buy again in 5 years)

Pants and the processes are the same

The Dons. Inka orange car which recently sold. Perfect base to restore, ie rust free.

But due to constraints. He couldnt e coat the car prior to paint and thats the way to go.

There were certain choices made out of his control which meant the restorer used what he knew best. which will fail eventually.

My plan (In my mind) and also limited by my physical strength and lack of ability, time etc but I can dream!!!

Acid or (alkaline bath) so it doesnt leave the car like a tea bag,

Metal work using complete NOS sections where possible.

Re-bath.

Electrophoretic coating the shell. Same as modern cars have, Impervious to oxygen so no rust...ever again.

Then..

2 pack Epoxy Primer to seal the metal from moisture and corrosion permanently.
Do the same to all the box sections and voids the car has.

Then filler.

Block sand.

Polyester Filler

Do that 3 times until its laser straight.

Let it shrink and settle which takes months for all the solvents to escape the primers.

Then epoxy primer.

Then leave it for another year to let it shrink and settle

Seam seal

Then.

Finally. paint process.

2 layers of ground coat.

3 layers of base coat.

6!! layers of clear using a slow hardener so the solvents can escape.

Then cut, buff and polish to glass like perfection.

Ceramic coat the bodywork..including the underneath.

Rust protection, waxes etc to the box sections, sills. Dinitrol.

Re assembly.

I would love to open a restoration shop but the amount of time, money and effort means its a pipe dream but someone out there does it to their best of their ability and knowledge and thats pleasing to know.

Sorry for the ramble.

I love classic cars (I have 14 at the last count and none of which are perfection) but the E9 will be that car eventually.

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi.

Yes. Id be interested in the CSL's if they coming up for sale and thank you for thinking of me!!

The world is going mad with Corona, The economy is shutting down. Ive had all work cancelled till the end of April, at least. Its looking dicey...

Typically. Ive got the chance to buy a 912/6 california car. 1969 so the coolest one to have. Needs a small amount of repair work to the firewall and the front tank support but its been done very nicely and its a california car so rust free as these Karmann built cars can be

Knowing how badly they rust, the restoration has to be done correctly and thats what Im after.

A well restored car.

My old CSi. Good bones. the execution was a flop. Even the engine was grumpy to start. Unfortunately. The owner had his pants pulled down by the restorer (in my opinion)

I think everyone has been in that situation where someone you trusted then takes you for a ride financially.

But there still are good people out there who understand these cars and the attention to detail is as obsessive as ours when it comes to our E9s.
Hi.

A well restored car.

When we decide to have our E9 restored ie full nut and bolt restoration or just the body restored , it's going to be done by the real E9 experts ie
Paul Baker ...if his waiting list is not more than 2yrs Long,
Then Plan B is ..have the work done by Fast Classics, near Horsham England !!!!!

The BMW car club members have had their pants pulled down by the so called E9 expert based in East Sussex ,....England ... we know who this rip off guy/business is !!!

Last edited:

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
ps.

The Silver E9 on car and classic sold for 95K. I went to see it. Very similar in appearance in the way the restoration was done.

Im no expert but like to understand the techniques involved with restoration.

That CSL. The paint wasnt perfect in the door shuts. Runs etc

Heavy underseal in the arch areas which is no bad thing. But you weren't able to see any previous sheet metal repairs. ie patch panels or complete sections and if they were lap welded or butt welded (Which is a bug bear of mine) The welds always have to be butt welded and ground back so its invisible

These cars will never be perfect. I understand that. They were hand built but when your restoring a car. You are dealing with people who have a huge amount of experience and patience.

But they can be resistant to change. adopting new technology only because they are old school.

Technology is too much and varied to understand which to use and when and they are desgined to have engineered obsolescence. (like washing machines. They can make one that lasts forever but its makes no financial sense to them. So they build in a life expectancy and failure so we have to buy again in 5 years)

Pants and the processes are the same

The Dons. Inka orange car which recently sold. Perfect base to restore, ie rust free.

But due to constraints. He couldnt e coat the car prior to paint and thats the way to go.

There were certain choices made out of his control which meant the restorer used what he knew best. which will fail eventually.

My plan (In my mind) and also limited by my physical strength and lack of ability, time etc but I can dream!!!

Acid or (alkaline bath) so it doesnt leave the car like a tea bag,

Metal work using complete NOS sections where possible.

Re-bath.

Electrophoretic coating the shell. Same as modern cars have, Impervious to oxygen so no rust...ever again.

Then..

2 pack Epoxy Primer to seal the metal from moisture and corrosion permanently.
Do the same to all the box sections and voids the car has.

Then filler.

Block sand.

Polyester Filler

Do that 3 times until its laser straight.

Let it shrink and settle which takes months for all the solvents to escape the primers.

Then epoxy primer.

Then leave it for another year to let it shrink and settle

Seam seal

Then.

Finally. paint process.

2 layers of ground coat.

3 layers of base coat.

6!! layers of clear using a slow hardener so the solvents can escape.

Then cut, buff and polish to glass like perfection.

Ceramic coat the bodywork..including the underneath.

Rust protection, waxes etc to the box sections, sills. Dinitrol.

Re assembly.

I would love to open a restoration shop but the amount of time, money and effort means its a pipe dream but someone out there does it to their best of their ability and knowledge and thats pleasing to know.

Sorry for the ramble.

I love classic cars (I have 14 at the last count and none of which are perfection) but the E9 will be that car eventually.

Somebody I know through the BMW car club , tried several times to get appointment , to view this csl , for sale on car and classic and he was given the run around by the alleged owner ie owner is abroad, Mr X has permission to show the car to potential buyers etc etc

Obsession

Reaction score
Paul Baker. Went to see him ages ago. One car was 60K just on metal work but the craftsmanship was right up there. Something that was pleasing to the eye.

I'll Google the fast classics you mentioned as I've not heard of them before.

Whichever car I buy. It has to be perfect especially at the kind of prices people are asking.