RHD CSi - need help finding one for Australia

E9Aus

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm an ex 2002Tii freak. I'm now looking to move in E9 circles and am scouring the earth for a 3.0 CSi to bring to Australia.

It needs to be Right Hand Drive and in reasonable rust free shape. I'm not looking for a top end concourse car as I can't afford one, but I am happy to import the right car to Melbourne Australia myself.

I've got my eyes well and truly on the net, especially in the UK and of course here in Aus & New Zealand for RHD cars, but apart from what Google can offer, on the forums, and on a few enthusiast sites, I'm a little stumped.

Would welcome ideas on who to talk to or trinkets on where to look.

Thanks in advance all!

Simufly

Reaction score
Rhd e9

Best of luck, but be very careful, even a good looking car can be terminally rusty, I have seen an apparantly good car after stripping. Looked more like a lace handerchief.
Good ones are rare and very expensive!

drewbaker

Reaction score
Hey E9Aus,
I just brought in a 1971 3.0 CS from America (where I live). My Dad is restoring it in Melbourne right now, at an awesome place called Deluxe (call Sasha on 0425-758-518 if your interested).

You can see photos of it here:
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5267

The RHD thing is going to be tough. Why are you so focused on that? It's really no problem having a LHD in Australia. Dad's Karmann Ghia is fine to drive around in.

-Drew

gerry

Reaction score
hey E9aus

I have just bought a rhd e9 in australia and have seen a few around since then for sale. I am sure that there was one in just cars magazine last month. Be patient and look around and one will come along.

p.s there is a CSL in ebay for $100,000 at the moment.

E9Aus

Reaction score
Hi gerry. Congrats on buying one in Aus, where did you spot it? What kind of condition was it in? Did you look for long?

The one in the mag last month was in Unique Cars, it is in Perth and he's asking $30k for it. I spoke to the guy and he said it would need a little bit of rust work, so it sounded a bit expensive for the condition.

I've been looking at all the Aus online car sales websites and in the mags but have only turned up 2 E9's in the past few months, one in Syd that wanted $20k but it was a basket case and the one in WA as discussed above. I have also been looking in the UK on their websites but even then they are a little hard to find.

I have even been in touch with the BMW car club of Aus and Vic.

Of course I frequent e9coupe.com but not having much luck. I'm also keeping an eye on bimmerfest.com

So what are your tips on digging one up?

o

Reaction score
Mine may be up for sale soon - check out my forum thread.

Cheers,

o :)

dalli

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Go and have a chat to Bill and Danny at Ajay Mechanical and Panel in Butler St Richmond. They are the guys in Melbourne for everything E9. They will have an idea of what is for sale (or is potentially for sale) locally.

E9Aus

Reaction score
Hi Drew. Looks like a great project e9 you have there! Yeah, I have considered LHD models but ideally RHD since they make them is my first choice. The pound to the $Aus is really good at the moment too so it makes UK cars a lot more affordable. Almost got this one a few weeks ago, was just a little late. But the car looked in great condition, needed literally no work and the price was good. He sold it for 7,000 pounds. http://www.carandclassic.com/car/C133195/

Thanks for Sasha's details, I might call them and pop in to see the project on the go.

Just as an aside, how did the import process go? Time consuming and expensive or all sorted through an agent?

All hunting tips welcome!

E9Aus

Reaction score
Thanks o! Checked out your thread but couldn't find pics. Do you have some pics and details you can PM me? Would love a peak. Cheers.

E9Aus

Reaction score
Go and have a chat to Bill and Danny at Ajay Mechanical and Panel in Butler St Richmond. They are the guys in Melbourne for everything E9. They will have an idea of what is for sale (or is potentially for sale) locally.
Cheers for the tip dalli! I'll check them out. Fingers X'd!

E9Aus

Reaction score
Cheers Mark. Looks to be pretty nice. The one marked as sold at 6,500 GBP below it looks even better!

Alas, I am ideally looking for a factory 3.0 CSi. I know the injection can be a pain but being an ex-2002Tii guy that Borg Warner set up is close to my heart.

Keep the tips coming. I didn't know that site so I'll keep checking there too!

gerry

Reaction score
Hey E9aus

I found mine in just cars last september for $10,000 on the north coast of NSW.I was actually looking for a 635csi when I saw this car and decided that it was a fairly cheap price for what it was.
The car wasnt registered and will require some body work in the future but after I repair the brakes properly it will pass a roadworthy and I will then convert it to manual and drive it for a while and see if I like it .
My wife and all her friends think that it is the best looking car around so maybe she can claim it and I will still get my 635.
IF I see any cars advertised around I will post them here for you .
Happy hunting

E9Aus

Reaction score
Awesome gerry, that is in fact exactly the kind of thing I am hoping to find too. That or one that needs little to no work for between $5k or $10k more. Cheers!!

mark

Reaction score
e9aus

i had a look at the ceylon (gold) car in perth today. it is a bit rough. asking price is now $20k down from 30k, but you will get iot for a lot less that that. pm me if you want more detail.

cheers
mark

dalli

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just noticed a green 73 CSi popped up for sale in Melbourne on carsales yesterday morning. I tried to talk to the guy but missed his return call today.
Car is off the web site this evening so it looks like it sold in less than 48hours.
It looked quite nice from the photos - I guess you have to be quick.

Dalli

E9Aus

Reaction score
hi dalli, yeah I spoke to this guy yesterday. I spotted this car at Shannons about 4 years ago, great little car, but has spots of external rust bubbles on just about every panel. The interior and motor are spot on and the car looks straight. Anyway he said he had been inundated with calls and taken by surprise. The car is still available but he is now only selling it to people he spoke to yesterday. Gotta love that white leather interior tho! Hope to be able to see the car on Monday. In fact, the guy said he has 2 people who want to buy the car sight unseeen.

gerry

Reaction score
the guy Ibought my car from said he had 17 calls in 3 days about the car. while my mate was doing the deal there was another guy on the phone trying to buy it sight unseen. So speed is of the essence

Wazza

Reaction score
Hi

There are a few that have been up for sale here in NZ. Mostly CS though, I had my CSI for sale last year and there was one British CSL in Christchurch. Check out Trademe in NZ as there are 12 or so CSI's here.

Best of luck.

Warren

E9Aus

Reaction score
Hi Warren. Thanks for the tip mate. I have had a look in the NZ market and would be happy to bring in a car from there, but I have only seen one CSi there lately and wasn't ready to buy at the time. Do you mean there are 12 x 3.0 CS's or CSi's listed on trademe.co.nz at present? It's probably just me but I couldn't seem to find them on the site, are you able to send a link on a search for these cars on trademe?

Also, do you or anyone else know whether South Africa is a good bet for finding decent E9's? of course the climate is warm and dry there so cars should be in decent rust free shape, I know a lot of people are now bringing classic Aussie Fords and Holdens (GM) back into Australia from SA as they are usually in great shape and prices for them are going through the roof here in Aus (cars like Ford Falcon GT's and GTHO's as as well as Holden / GM Monaro GT's - all from the late 60's and early 70's are going nuts here).

Thanks again! Cheers! Mick