RHD Power Steering Box Removal

jeme9

Reaction score
Hi has anyone had experience with removal of Power steering box on a RHD car? Is there a secret to getting it out?
I am planning to remove to overhaul as I have annoying fluid leak!
Thanks

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, I've done it and yes there is.
Far easier to remove when engine is out of the car but can can probably be done with motor in place with the car on a hoist.
If you are going to a manual box, as I did, best to pull entire front subframe and re-do bushes, tie-rods etc while you are in there.
Where in Aus are you?
Send me DM if you like.

spence88mph

Reaction score
Just wondering if you did this jem as I'm planning to attempt this weekend.

Will pull the subframe anyway for bushes and a clean up.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
We're you doing it with the motor still in place?best option is sans motor and drop the sub-frame so you can get a run up at it..

spence88mph

Reaction score
Thanks Wes, engine is still in, was thinking I could get at it from underneath, I have a hoist, I really can’t be assed taking the engine out!

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can remove it from under, simply enough. It's 4 bolts to the subrame, the steering arm and hoses. All easily accessible.

You would however need the car in the air, rather than on stands as it does require some manoeuvering and is quite a heavy lump

spence88mph

Reaction score
Cheers Christopher! Thanks for the input, was hoping to get a response like that, I'm fortunate enough to have a hoist so I'll make use of it.

jeme9

Reaction score
Just wondering if you did this jem as I'm planning to attempt this weekend.

Will pull the subframe anyway for bushes and a clean up.
sorry Spence for late reply. No I haven't replaced it yet - I got side tracked on other projects. Now we have a hoist so I should fix it.
I am interested in any tips from your experience from weekend, also interested in who or how you plan to overhaul per strg box. ps. I am also in Melbourne.