Ride to Telluride

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thinking of driving from the Bay Area to Telluride, Colorado in a couple of weeks. Any tips on best route, things to safely visit along the way, places to stay? At the destination I would get an airbnb. How are the roads there? I could rent a suitable vehicle or drive the e39 M5.

Mmshul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thinking of driving from the Bay Area to Telluride, Colorado in a couple of weeks. Any tips on best route, things to safely visit along the way, places to stay? At the destination I would get an airbnb. How are the roads there? I could rent a suitable vehicle or drive the e39 M5.
If you have a sense of adventure and time to explore, historic highway 50 out of the Bay area. Been a few years since I took that route, prior to Covid, so not sure what to expect today. There are some historic spots, especially once in Nevada. In Utah, you will take 15 for a short period to 70. Then on to 191, takes you through Moab- stunning vistas, 46/90 then 145 into Telluride. There are adequate fueling stations, lodging and food. Sublime trip in a M5. I might add, a M5 that is well sorted prior to taking this route. It gets hot through Nevada/Utah, early morning starts can make a difference, mechanical and personal.
I’m stopping in Fallon, or Ely NV on this route. There is a Holiday Inn Express. Book as soon as you can, for they book up.
Scipio Utah would be a good place for spending the night. Scipio hotel is good.

If comfort and services are your priority, 80 to Salt Lake, 15 to 70 to 19. You will go through Moab on this route too.
There are Holiday Inn Express-Hampton Inn and Best Western along this route, judge your driving distances for the day, and book early. They book up in these parts.
Have fun!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, yes adventure is my middle name and if it gets hot I can always stash the dromedary in the back seat...
The M5 is well sorted, I just replaced EVERY cooling system item less than 5k miles ago, the only thing I would do is put new tires as it eats the rears pretty fast. I was asking because the M5 is not really a good car when you need high road clearance and maybe gravel roads. The car does not have spare wheel (too large and they are staggered width) so I need to think about that risk.

If you have a sense of adventure and time to explore, historic highway 50 out of the Bay area. Been a few years since I took that route, prior to Covid, so not sure what to expect today. There are some historic spots, especially once in Nevada. In Utah, you will take 15 for a short period to 70. Then on to 191, takes you through Moab- stunning vistas, 46/90 then 145 into Telluride. There are adequate fueling stations, lodging and food. Sublime trip in a M5. I might add, a M5 that is well sorted prior to taking this route. It gets hot through Nevada/Utah, early morning starts can make a difference, mechanical and personal.
I’m stopping in Fallon, or Ely NV on this route. There is a Holiday Inn Express. Book as soon as you can, for they book up.
Scipio Utah would be a good place for spending the night. Scipio hotel is good.

If comfort and services are your priority, 80 to Salt Lake, 15 to 70 to 19. You will go through Moab on this route too.
There are Holiday Inn Express-Hampton Inn and Best Western along this route, judge your driving distances for the day, and book early. They book up in these parts.
Have fun!

sfdon

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
1000 mile drive in an m5? Why?
rent a ghibli and relax.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tell me more about that Ghibli rental...
The other options I was considering are renting a crossover or actually buying a Toyota FJ Cruiser for the trip and then giving it to my daughter.

1000 mile drive in an m5? Why?
rent a ghibli and relax.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Since this is my backyard, highly recommend going to Durango and then 550 north, great and very scenic drive to Telluride.

Mmshul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Since this is my backyard, highly recommend going to Durango and then 550 north, great and very scenic drive to Telluride.
You are sure right about that route. I lived in Pojouque back in the late 80’s, early 90’s. Had a Dinan Stage 3 750iL. at the time. Northern New Mexico, Southern Colorado, some incredible roads and scenery. Sunrise and Sunsets, majestic! Driving back into Chimayo or Los Alamos made for a wonderful lunchtime outing.
My E9 is from Los Alamos, I bought it from the original owner. Thank you for reminding me of some special times.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wish you were still in NM, as far as I know only 5 E9's in the state, and 2 are at my home. My blue one came from the original owner in Farmington, go figure!

Mmshul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wish you were still in NM, as far as I know only 5 E9's in the state, and 2 are at my home. My blue one came from the original owner in Farmington, go figure!
Unless they see if for themselves, its hard explaining how beautiful your state is. Well, the northern half. I too wish being back. I love driving, and those roads outside my door, gave me great times driving about. I have passed through your city (on 64 out of Chama) a few times on my way to Cortez..You chose wisely!
I am interested, how did it happen that two E9’s ended up residing in Farmington?

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you take route 50 through Nevada, watch out for the jackrabbits. I drove it in 2016 heading west to Monterey for car week and left Ely very early in the morning dark to avoid the heat of day. The road was littered with unsuccessful jackrabbits trying to dart across the road. When I got to Reno I had to remove several that were impaled on my front tow hooks.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
One was local, a client of my wifes, it had been in the garage for 14 years. The black one I purchased in Kansas

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Be sure and visit Durango, incredible scenery.

As Chris says - visit Durango - THEN, drive the incredibly beautiful (and challenging) highway to Silverton. Equally as good - take the train from Durango over and back. Done Each of these twice, one of the great scenic/challenging trips in the USA.

Gary

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Say some more about the challenging part...

As Chris says - visit Durango - THEN, drive the incredibly beautiful (and challenging) highway to Silverton. Equally as good - take the train from Durango over and back. Done Each of these twice, one of the great scenic/challenging trips in the USA.

Gary

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Arde, As long as you have a healthy fear of heights you will not be challenged! The road from Grand Junction to Ouray is flat but after that it climbs over Red Mountain Pass to Silverton and then down to Durango. The Pass is much like Tioga Pass road but longer and narrow with few guard rails but incredibly scenic with mining ruins and grand vistas. If you take the train to Silverton from Durango get reservations well in advance

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, I think I will follow the advice from home through Telluride and then sort out the Mountain Pass adventures. My wife has me driving in 2nd gear when we drive highway 1, so I am not sure what will happen on 550. Made my airbnb reservations, now it is on to decide what car to take. If I had courage I would drive the Lancia Fulvia...

steve in reno

Reaction score
As a former resident of Colo, that drive is fabulous. Do the Durango train, it will give you peace and photos abundantly.
And the drive across Nevada, while it can be warm, has many photo opportunities.
My wife also is squeamish when on mntn passes. Might be because the door used to come open on my old VW bus on turns occasionally.
My Hang gliding vacations were always full of mntn passes.
Uncompagre National forest is very beautiful. I have spent much time in Telluride(to hell u ride). Good times!