Robert Downey Jr's E9

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
it looks more like a set of interior renderings / photoshop (in some images) than it does pictures. for instance, the wood on the steering wheel -

Those are definitely real photos. I know what you mean about the steering whee though. I’m pretty certain that all of the “wood” in the car was hydro dipped (water transfer printing). It totally explains why the grain in the wheel is all in the same direction.

NilsH

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not to hi-jack this thread, but can someone enlighten me on the water transfer printing possibilities?
Is it an alternative to chroming, e.g. the taillight frame and/or their reflectors? Is it expensive?

Mario L.

Reaction score
We had some involvement with this car, and the base car was discussed here many years ago. This started out as the Nachtblau Alpina clone from Japan that was FS on BAT . At the time it had the automatic and an M30 3.5 with hydro boost brakes. Speedkore has previously done a Mustang for Robert Downey, and the interior in that is clearly from the same shop that did this car.
VSR1.com did the engine rebuild for this car, and made it run. The brakes are a custom Brembo BBK set up, we'll have this available for those who really want to stop hard and fast, but it will require 17" wheels. HRE made the ones on this car.
The color didn't work for me when it arrived, after it was in the shop for a week, the orange is cool, Speedkore's CF work is incredible, but I can't go for the water dip wood . .

Mario L.
VSR1.com

Dohn

Reaction score
I'm not in love with the color choices, but I like the fact they interpreted the interior into a more modern look without going too space age. Little touches like the fabric pockets in the doors, the armrest/cupholder/handbrake design, leather coverings on all the temperature controls, all are things that might be in an e9 if they were still building them. I agree on the wood; it's a gimmick that doesn't fit the richness of the leather and fabric. You can at least rest assured that if Mario worked on it, it runs great.

mr bump

Reaction score
Plenty of after market seat heater kits out there for partners who want bum warmers. Don’t laugh but I’ve always found sheepskin seat covers to work well in winter.
Any chance of a link to them? My ball and wife does like a moan about a cold derfierreirerier!o_O

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Where is that picture of the middle eastern guy posing with his pimped out e9? Mario can print it out and present it to Mr. Stark next time he sees him.