Rolling Fenders Question

Howard

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am looking at adding 16 inch Alpina rims to my e9 coupe and understand that "rolling my fenders" is recommended to ensure ample clearance for the tires. Question. My mechanic, who I respect, has told me that he is concerned that their could be some paint damage from the rolling process that will then need to be repaired. Is this a normal negative side effect? Or are there steps we might take in the rolling process to eliminate any paint issues? I have tried to do some research before moving forward but can not find any conclusive results. Thanks much in advance.

From my experience it is always a gamble. I suggest you try some negative camber plates first. I had enough clearance with just 5 degrees.

I do think your paint guy is correct as the paint would likely crack as the metal is bent/rolled

It might be worth putting on the 16” and trying first before taking the decision to roll fenders.

Fyi, I have 16” Alpina’s front and back and my fenders aren’t rolled. They don’t rub with normal driving and use.

Last edited:
Thank you both for helpful information. The forum is so helpful for items like this... Regards.

Always use a heat gun which helps keep the paint from cracking and go slow with a roller attached to the wheel hub. Cutting the tires happens usually when turning into a driveway and the tire rebounds into the fender. You can also drive very slowly when turning but you may forget to do so. If you still have original springs then rolling fenders is a must. On my coupe it happened only on the passenger side fender. A fixed camber plate can help but it is only around 0.7 degrees.

Heating the paint will definitely help mitigate paint cracking. Just need to roll between 10 & 2 o'clock on both front fenders. Fixed negative camber plates will help.I have adjustable negative camber plates to get -1° on both sides.

Neg Camber Plates.JPG

Dooley Illust pic.jpg

I would not recommend trying out 16" wheels before doing something to create more clearance. Even at relatively low speeds, if you hit anything that upsets the chassis in a turn - even a small undulation in the road - the outside front tire can catch the fender and tear it up.

I followed Chris' advice and used a heat gun while rolling my fenders (and I only have 15" wheels). A good rule of thumb is that the paint must be warm, but not so hot that you cannot place your hand on the fender. Go slow and be very patient.

Thank you Chris. Do you have a photo of how your coupe looks with 15" wheels? It seems that most of the recommendations have suggested 16" wheels (with rolling) vs. 14" wheels without need for adjustment. Thanks much. Apologize in advance -- this is my first time exploring this issue.

There are other posts about rolling your front fenders. Owners with 14,15,&16" wheels with the ET11 correct offset have had the work done. A qualified pro will roll them and not crack your paint. If you lower the car,it is only a matter of time before the fender lips are bent and your tire &/or paint are damaged.

Hello Drew. Thank you. Could you clarify what you mean by " with the ET11 correct offset have had the work done"? I'm trying to make the 16 inch wheel solution work and appreciate your help and expertise. Regards

Front wheels need an offset of 11mm, re: ET11, this is common on an 7” x 16” Alpina used up front. Rear 8x16 Is et24.

I am running original BBS RS 005 & 006 (ET11 and ET24) 16" with the lowering springs and negative camber plates from Carl Nelson. Before the camber plates I used to rub.
My fenders aren't rolled.
Never rubbed again.
IMG20220909194218.jpg
IMG20220909194204.jpg

Of course I have pictures of my car! This picture was taken in Monterey at the Jetport and shows how a fatter tire fills out the wheel well:

20160817_180242.jpg

This picture was taken locally. You can see how much I rolled the fenders if you look behind the tires.

Ohmes.BMW.3-2021-3.jpeg

This picture shows three different rim sizes. My car with the 15" Wed Bavarias is in the foreground. Tom in the middle has a set of 16" BBS wheels on his car. Steve's car on the right has 14" Alpinas.
20211104_135218.jpg

Back