roof rack for 1970 E3 2800?

AbnMike

Reaction score
Specifically something period correct...was anything like this ever made for the E3? Yes, yes, I know, I know all the debates about ruining lines, etc, but I have a vintage mahogany canoe that I'd like to transport with the E3 and I certainly don't want to add some kind of plastic roof rack to the car.

I saw a Karmann Ghia with the type of rack I was thinking about...here's a link to various images of those:

https://www.google.com/search?site=...11.0...0.0...1ac.1.12.img.R9dhdU4F-1M#imgrc=_

They don't look like they'd be hard to make (for someone who can weld, I can't) and they don't look obtrusive and look easy to remove. I assume the mounting points could be covered in rubber.

But a classic BMW with a rack like this and a polished canoe, or leather travel trunks for vacation would just look amazing travelling down the highways.

Any ideas?

jmackro

Reaction score
AbnMike said:
....easy to remove. I assume the mounting points could be covered in rubber.

I would be worried that a rack that just clamps to the rain gutters might not be strong enough, particularly when cruising with something as heavy, and with as much wind resistance, as a canoe.

Yea, I know - back in the 1950's everyone did it that way. But, back in the 1950's:

- Highway speeds were 60 instead of 80+
- Attitudes toward safety also allowed kids riding in the back of station wagons with no restraints.
- There were a lot fewer lawyers

I'm OK with the aesthetics of a roof rack, but think I would anchor it directly to the roof structure with four large bolts.

e3er

Reaction score
You mean like this one?

BMW%202800%20Warsaw%20Rally%201973.jpg

tmason

Reaction score
I custom cut down my Yakima racks so it would fit closer to the roofline.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 204

shanon

Reaction score

Ya might try looking in the classic Mercedes or Peugot circles, those likely had more family outfitting kits for the sedans and wagons.

As for rain gutters and Yak roof racks, have had nothing but positive experiences. The same Yak rack and hardware has gone from my 58 bug, 80s sube wagon, now on my Coupe (1A towers, 48" bars). Have had large loads on all three cars with many adventures. Rack has never let me down and is on and off any car in 5 mins. Parts are anywhere ya find a bike shop or sporting good retailer and online. Just make sure your gutters are solid, the rain gutter likely to fail before rack will.

If you want a more period look, what about striping/painting/polishing the Yak parts to a more period look and make a cool wooden rack or box.....hhmmmm

hth
-s

74EuroE9

Reaction score
Roof Rack

I have a '75 3.0Si.
I used the Thule rack I had on my '74 2002 (sold).
It fits and works perfectly, with a cargo box as well as hauling my 10'4" Becker longboard.:smile: