Rotisserie, Coupe on a spit!

Malc

Reaction score
As a couple of folk have asked how I built my Rotisserie I thought I would share some pictures and notes...
Being cheap (Yorkshireman living in Scotland :lol: ) I basically built both out of bits and pieces I had lying about.
The lifting straps are used for tie-downs on open containers with a ratchet mechanism operated by a wrench.
However any suitable strapping or small winch would work.

The base is basically a cross, but make sure the base is wide enough to be stable. The central guide "tower" is a fabricated
guide for the rotating part. This is braced to the base.
418235f909a567a49a639200ed25414a.jpg

At the top of the tower the strap goes over a roller (old Gudgeon pin) down the centre of the tower.

af45c3114ff5bc6fe68fb02cfc90538c.jpg

This attaches to the to the carrier,which can be moved up and down The carrier has a tube welded in it which has the correct ID
for the tube welded to the plate which turns.
abf0cba86c75e055b2bc215fd6e3856a.jpg

You can then weld on spacers and the attachment points where you need to attach to the shell. Once the nose cone goes on
I will modify all the mounting points.

68de010e156f6db4c9282231c50e3304.jpg

At the rear you can see how the mounting is done. I waited until I had the new back panel on and then bolted it to the bumper mount holes.
note the rubber packing strip

24717ed4b33860fba812b83cebbb3508.jpg

Another picture at the back

9d722699b3a92f5466a0dc51883b7e57.jpg

IMPORTANT
1.. Ensure that the attachment to the car is mounted at the centre of rotation on the stand.
2.. When attaching both ends to the car make sure they are both the same height from the ground and the line up along the length of the car.
3.. The mounting points must be strong enough for the weight of the shell If not you will damage the shell and or yourself
4... Note I only use this on a stripped shell. DO NOT attempt to use on a vehicle with all its parts in - Far too heavy for this design.

REALLY IMPORTANT
In my case the centre of rotation (along the centre line of the body) is not at the true centre of rotation. What this means is that it is unbalanced...
IE it's top heavy. Thus it has a tendency to roll onto its roof. You must be very careful to support the car the correct way up until it's high enough
so roof doesn't hit the ground when you roll it over..
That said it is not so unbalanced that I cannot rotate the shell when I need to

Obviously it's all a bit rough and ready, but it seems to work. I have done 3 cars so far and touch wood I haven't had any problems.
If you have any questions or need further details let me know.

Malc