Roundel Restoration

Dynamique 76

Reaction score
My 75'er has a set of pretty fried original Roundels on the hood/truck(!)/ and c-pilars(both pieces). They are all in decent shape but the color/paint is all washed out.

Does anyone on here know of good artist who might be able to restore all at the same time (so they match)?

I'm not in a hurry, so thought this might be the place to look for a true craftsman.

Additionally, I can't find any new Trunk Badges that aren't plastic, and would rather leave them old and original.

How do others feel about/handle this?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

-DD

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Dynamique 76

Reaction score
Following up on this...

@jefflit has a guy who helped him restore his Emblems, he wrote:
"I have a guy in OC who does lettering/pinstriping who repainted my roundels. His name is Kent 714-267-0549... They aren't perfect but they were originally pretty bad."
Original post here:

I called Kent yesterday... he's still in business and he gave me a quote of $250 to repaint/restore all 4 roundels.

But at those rates I found it would be a bit less expensive to just order new badges from BMW, some shops still have metal badges in stock, for less than $100 each.

Unfortunately the Trunk badge is Unobtanium, so I will have to restore this one alone at a cost of $150.

I will post some pictures for your reference when everything is done and dusted.

-DD

stphers

Reaction score
This was in a discussion on badges on the 2002FAQ site about a fellow that makes badges maybe redo them as well? I don't do Instagram so don't know anything about this fellow

There's a company on instagram that i ran across that makes them. Page is called oemcustomz. Last i checked they told me about $150 for the pair and they are enameled brass. They have pictures on their page of some 2002's using them.

Thanks, Rick

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
DD

I did the resoration myself and it is allot of work. I could never get it perfect and I just gave up. No one ever notices, except me they are not perfect. I used verios methods from the forum but ended up taking a freinds suggestion and used spray pait from Hobby Loby, that worked the best. It is Much easier than using Testors with a brush that other have suggested

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
I imagine this topic has pulled in quite a few pairs of eyes, so I will now skyjack it. Take me to Cuba.

Kidding, but I'm curious about another option besides restoration: maintaining the status quo. What if you look at your tired badges and see them as badges of honor, yet another point of patina? And at the same time you really don't want them to get too much farther gone. Any tips on preserving them in a semi-weathered state?

hood_badge.jpg

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's so easy... got to Hobby Lobby for Testors model paint, some brushes, and maybe some thinner. I've repainted maybe a dozen over the years, some just for practice.

Here's an FAQ link that talks about it: https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/147974-repainting-raised-roundel-badge/

Clean your existing Roundel so the paint adheres. Drop the new paint from the tip of your brush into the recessed areas of the Roundel. The paint will self-level (because the Roundel is not flat, you might need to hold it in your hand to insure the paint goes where you want it). It congeals quickly enough. After the paint has dried, you can spray them with a clear coat.

All the Roundels on my 2000CS were done this way (I chose to use the early Serif script Roundels and those are not available new).

F6A7855A-D067-428A-9333-2A60CF4D342E.jpeg

Ed Z

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I did a couple myself. It's tricky but with some patience it can be done.
I did the back one because there were NLA and a friend gave me one that needed refinishing.
I must admit no one even notices.
Ed Z write up is a good start.
Good luck.
Gary

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if you refer to the FAQ - what color goes where ... you will get our best ballpark color guesses.