Rubber "fillets " for console tray.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
...could't find a specific thread on this . I have had the wooden dash rebuilt by a superb craftsman ( among other things he makes jewelry boxes for very high end stores so you hopefully get the picture ) . The rubber "fillets " on my console tray could not be salvaged so he unilaterally decided to make them out of timber and craftsmanship is superb ...keep in mind though this was very , very much a "love job "so I'm indebted to the intermediary who is also a E9 owner. So, for authenticity, is there an option of the rubber inserts ?...or do I just go with the bespoke timber alternative ?...in which case painted black or stained same colour as the tray ? Cheers, Simon

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Afternoon Simon

I've never seen the fillets for sale as a set but occasionally you see an entire tray for sale secondhand.
This may be the only way to obtain the rubber pieces.

You may value this approach if only for the sake of authenticity.

Cheers. Marco54

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Thanks Marco, but all the timber is now Mountain Ash ,,,and the ""petrified"rubber pieces tend to break if you try to remove them from donor trays ...first world problem ! :)

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks Marco, but all the timber is now Mountain Ash ,,,and the ""petrified"rubber pieces tend to break if you try to remove them from donor trays ...first world problem ! :)
Hi again Simon

I agree that if the rubber has 'de-natured' that this would be problematical.
Perhaps I was just lucky with mine. I managed to press the pieces out (from the back) in order to re-veneer the base. Each of them came out OK.

In an ideal world I guess you'd have to examine one before purchase. However as they are not common this is unlikely to be possible, as most such items for sale are on international sites like e-Bay.

Good luck, Simon.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
98A5FE12-BE1B-47E7-AEB9-E960BDD0562E.jpeg
I checked- I have a bag of them

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hmmmmm I only have TEN spares....
Need 12!

Attachments

• 24719D66-71E3-4921-87D1-0A6EC65DEEE3.jpeg
    24719D66-71E3-4921-87D1-0A6EC65DEEE3.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 106

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
8FB699FC-737B-4D5E-870F-54535E1D5B87.jpeg Found 4 more yesterday at junk shop...

They charged me 20 bucks
So I guess going rate is 5 bucks each.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
View attachment 53704 Found 4 more yesterday at junk shop...

They charged me 20 bucks
So I guess going rate is 5 bucks each.

I was going to mention that you can find these on an e23 but I didn’t want to diminish the glory of your collection. Looks like you just let the cat out of the bag with that image.