Rubbers 51216740180/181

Philippe db

Reaction score
s-l1600.jpg
IMG_6267.JPG
IMG_6268.JPG
Hi Guys,

Hi guys

Ok would appreciate some tips and tricks here.

Last year I noticed that the Cs was missing two door rubbers.

Still available at BMW and today I picked them up for a whopping €229. Looking at these rubbers and holding them in position I can imagine that it is not an easy job to fix these in away that they won't fall off after a week or two.

Do any of you have experience with installing them. Most important question to answer here probably is what adhesive to use?

Many thanks in advance

Below some pics of the set and a picture I retrieved from German ebay where the set is on offer for €129. These at least look a lot more form stable then the ones I got from BMW.

Wladek

Reaction score
I would use automotive windshield black adhesive. All weather proof, flexible & of course great adhesion to rubber, paint, metal etc., just need well degreased surface before applying.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Right. There's a tube of adhesive specifically for weatherstripping found everywhere.

Glue on, shut door, leave for a long time (per instructions).

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I used Wurth Rubber Glue for all the new seals etc. I put in my car. Works great, holds tight. Not easy to find, but I get it via internet sales.

Gary

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I found it hard to find Wurth products, I wanted the cavity protection spray and found at a place called Goodspeed Motors

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
easy and simple, any impact glue will do the trick
there is an excellent impact glue from bmw, i would go for it
first make a try to learn the position
clean the paint in the place that you will place the rubber, use alcohol
clean the rubber contact face with alcohol too
let both dry well
aply on both sides impact glue, apply first in paint as it will dry slowlier than in rubber and this will give you time to apply in rubber
let both sides dry until your finger feels there is a skin in the glue
then starting from top place rubber against the door, do not tension the rubber, compensate the weight do not let the rubber elongate
it gets in contact immediately and you can not correct, dont need to apply or keep pressure, tac is immediate
it is ten years since i installed mines
p.s. impact glue is transparent when cured, better that colour adhesives for a polaris paint IMHO

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
easy and simple, any impact glue will do the trick
there is an excellent impact glue from bmw, i would go for it
first make a try to learn the position
clean the paint in the place that you will place the rubber, use alcohol
clean the rubber contact face with alcohol too
let both dry well
aply on both sides impact glue, apply first in paint as it will dry slowlier than in rubber and this will give you time to apply in rubber
let both sides dry until your finger feels there is a skin in the glue
then starting from top place rubber against the door, do not tension the rubber, compensate the weight do not let the rubber elongate
it gets in contact immediately and you can not correct, dont need to apply or keep pressure, tac is immediate
it is ten years since i installed mines
p.s. impact glue is transparent when cured, better that colour adhesives for a polaris paint IMHO
Very well explained. There are several insightful tips in your description. Well done!

reedreed

Reaction score
Thank you. I placed my order a week ago and paid by PAYPAL. There wasn't any confirmations since then. Sent two e-mails - no answer. There is nothing to say yet but looks a bit strange to me.

merdad

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi @Redeed. I'll send you a PM. Normally Stefan Ries is quite reactive. I'm positive you'll get your parts; he's a true E9 enthousiast.
Recently they haven't been too reactive, unfortunately. I have known him for years and bought many parts, as well as referring many friends. They hardly read message and ignore requests sent to them. I think, it is mainly his office staff, and he doesn't get involved personally anymore.