Rust on a 72' (throughout the body)

Haseeb

Reaction score
Well there is rust on the body of my car (from the previous owner's neglect) and I did not think dealing with it would be difficult until I actually started. The rust isn't the worst per say, but there are some bad spots (and some that already have a filler (bondo?) that's already inside. I've begun the process of sanding with 60 grit paper, but I am not sure how to fix it up/make it look alright after that (I do plan on repainting it nicely, but in like a year or 2, so for now I just don't want it too look mega ugly). Any advice my friends?

Attachments

• IMG_4838.JPG
    IMG_4838.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_4837.JPG
    IMG_4837.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_4835.JPG
    IMG_4835.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_4834.JPG
    IMG_4834.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_4836.JPG
    IMG_4836.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 307

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pull the fender to deal with it, easier that way and easy to pull. When you remove the mud guard, you may find more. I ran my shopvac down the rocker panel which is open when guard is removed. You will be shocked at what you pull out.

Haseeb

Reaction score
Pull the fender to deal with it, easier that way and easy to pull. When you remove the mud guard, you may find more. I ran my shopvac down the rocker panel which is open when guard is removed. You will be shocked at what you pull out.
damnnn I'm scared to check now :eek:

Haseeb

Reaction score
Update: Got this and I am hoping it'll do some good for the underside

Attachments

• IMG_4867.JPG
    IMG_4867.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_4870.JPG
    IMG_4870.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 222

jmackro

Reaction score
I've begun the process of sanding with 60 grit paper.....I do plan on repainting it nicely, but in like a year or 2

Honestly, you are "bringing a knife to a gunfight". Sandpaper and squirt bottle products are feeble weapons when rust is your adversary. If you don't want to attack it full-on at this time, just live with it as-is until you are ready to paint the car. At that point, follow bavbob's and autowerk's advice: pull the fenders, disassemble the doors, have the car media blasted, weld in patches, etc.

The thing about rust is that there is always more than you anticipate - you won't know the extent of the damage until you take things apart and get the paint off.

Haseeb

Reaction score
Honestly, you are "bringing a knife to a gunfight". Sandpaper and squirt bottle products are feeble weapons when rust is your adversary. If you don't want to attack it full-on at this time, just live with it as-is until you are ready to paint the car. At that point, follow bavbob's and autowerk's advice: pull the fenders, disassemble the doors, have the car media blasted, weld in patches, etc.

The thing about rust is that there is always more than you anticipate - you won't know the extent of the damage until you take things apart and get the paint off.
True /: I was just hoping there was something I could do on my current budget/limited knowledge, I may just get an angle grinder and cut out the bad parts myself for now then

jmackro

Reaction score
I may just get an angle grinder and cut out the bad parts myself for now then

You can certainly do that, but it would violate your comment: "for now I just don't want it too look mega ugly". You will be left with scars all over the car from the patching. Are you prepared to cut out sheet metal and weld in new material?

The other problem is the one I noted earlier - there is always more rust than is initially visible. So if you do a full, bare metal repaint in a couple of years, be prepared for the shop to find additional rust and probably recommend re-doing your patches.