S38 fitment issues

Glaive

Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting an S38 conversion together and was hoping some of you might be able to offer some much needed input. From what I've gathered I will need to perform a slight modification to the firewall and radiator clearance is gonna be tight. Also it looks like I'll need to fab up some motor mounts but I'm not sure if I'll need to use the S38 accessories and brackets (i.e. steering pump, a/c compressor, alternator) or if I should just stay with the stock E9 stuff. The S38 oil pan is a bit larger so I was thinking I might need to use the CS pan and pump in order to clear the front crossmember. However this might necessitate using the CS bracketry as I'll lose the S38 bracket mount on the oil pan. There are some other issues involving the steering setup and brake booster clearance but I figured those might have to wait until I get the long block in the bay and then incrementally mock everything else up. If anybody has any practical experience with any of this please let me know as I'd like to address as many of these issues beforehand as possible. Thanks in advance for any assistance any of you can offer.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Sounds like you've got most of it, aside from the motor mounts. The original CS mounts should still work. You'll need to pount out the firewall around the coolant return area, based on what I remember other member's cars. You will likely need to use the CS oil pan, but the S38 oil pump should still fit. The ancillaries will likely have to be the CS stuff, and all the brackets should match up.

Glaive

Reaction score
The bosses on the S38 block look to be the same so they may work. I'm a bit concerned that the tilt is a bit greater with the S38 and this may require that I do some tweaking. When I tested it the S38 oil pump was just a bit too big for the E9 pan so I'm thinking I'll have to swap that as well. Depending on what I do with the strut brace I may also need to change the location of the coolant tank and windshield washer bottle also. The battery tray is definitely going to have to go to make room for the air flow meter and filter assembly. If the CS accessory brackets will work that would be great as the steering pump and alternator are much more expensive on the S38.

spartacuscsim

Reaction score
im doing the same RHD, i presume your Lhd, you definetley need to use Csi sump and Csi oil pump, mounts are the same, but nearside i had to oval the 4 mount holes so engine sat 5 mm lower cos cyl head touched bulkhead panel (unless you want to muller the panel), if your rhd you definetley need to remake ex manifold. i need help on engine loom connections any ideas?

Glaive said:
I'm in the process of getting an S38 conversion together and was hoping some of you might be able to offer some much needed input. From what I've gathered I will need to perform a slight modification to the firewall and radiator clearance is gonna be tight. Also it looks like I'll need to fab up some motor mounts but I'm not sure if I'll need to use the S38 accessories and brackets (i.e. steering pump, a/c compressor, alternator) or if I should just stay with the stock E9 stuff. The S38 oil pan is a bit larger so I was thinking I might need to use the CS pan and pump in order to clear the front crossmember. However this might necessitate using the CS bracketry as I'll lose the S38 bracket mount on the oil pan. There are some other issues involving the steering setup and brake booster clearance but I figured those might have to wait until I get the long block in the bay and then incrementally mock everything else up. If anybody has any practical experience with any of this please let me know as I'd like to address as many of these issues beforehand as possible. Thanks in advance for any assistance any of you can offer.

Glaive

Reaction score
I actually found an oil pan from a 79 E12 528i that allows me to run the s38 brackets, clear the crossmember and run the CS oil pump so that's one less headache. The motor brackets have not come into play as of yet but I may fab up something a bit stouter rather than modify the E9 brackets. You're right in that I have a LHD car so clearance on the brake booster may be an issue. I've got a much thinner early style booster on hand that I plan on trying to squeeze by without too much modification. On the exhaust I'll probably just get some of the stock s38 manifold pieces modified to start and then go with a stainless set of tubing the rest of the way out. I'm thinking wiring is going to be about the last issue after I get the engine situated. I'll be using the M6 engine harness in conjunction with a custom CS harness that ties right into the factory S38 unit. The guys I'm working with seem to think concealing the wiring is the way to go but I may go against that suggestion for practical purposes. If I come up with anything I'll let you know.

Best,

Andrew