S38 M power?

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Was wondering if any here owned or had driven a 3.0CS with a s38 transplant as these blokes from down under did such a marvelous job here.

111166_2mg.jpg

Any info you might be able to provide would be helpful as to fitment and issues encountered...including the ride height
and overall performance and suitability of the power-plant to the chassis.

111166_6mg.jpg

I am beginning to like the black alot too!

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_MPower-Coupe/A_111166/article.html

Cheers!

Ran

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Most of the guys stick with M30s due to the minimal additonal work required by the swap. There have been a few S38 transplants, but there are significant issues with such a swap, including some firewall pounding. Member corsachili did extensive prep work, but in the end decided to stick with a M30.

A major inhibitor in the S38 swap is the cost involved. A good used S38 + harness + DME is more in the 5-10k range, depending on the condition. Then, there's the parts cost, where the S38 parts are usually 5 times as expensive as their M30 counterpart. You have to pay to play, so to speak.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
That was precisely what I thought too, until i read a note the other day from someone I've been discussing this with that suggested his unique approach...

Use the the standard 535 oil pan and pump and then the engine drops right in and there's no interference with the stock steering or any shock tower modification necessary and apparently the M5 radiator will work also if you use the 535 thermostat housing...

He's located the S38 engine, CR five speed shaft and posi rear with wiring harness, ECU and the ancillaries for $3,000 from a roll over M5.

Personally i'd rather have a V8!

What I fear is being unable to fine a suitable chassis in the proper color and condition as the cost for that if you don't do it yourself can be staggering, no?

I would be very interested in reading Corsachili's posted info. you suggest if you can guide me to it?

Thanks so much for your kind reply!

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Yes I do realize that the interior bits, etc are out of sight $$ but not on this car, as the mechanical approach was a bit over the top and unnecessary in a few ways. My question is in search of those individuals that have actually seen, driven or done this modification or one similar.

111166_6mg.jpg

What I am suggesting is to start with a good car interior wise, dissasemble it, down to the bare chassis and repair the chassis and do the body work first.
Then the limited amount of redesign to accommodate the reasonably priced S38 but more updated mechanical driveline, better brakes and suspension would make the car last almost indefinitely...a claim that few e9 owner dare to make.
At these prices the market being where it is it just makes sense to ask a few folks that may have done it, in lieu of jumping in and just giving up and parting out their examples...seems to happen all the time on this car as with the incorrect approach the car be killed before it ever lives again...IMHO.

Cheers!

M5dCS

Reaction score
M5 conversion

I've done the conversion and it's not all that involved, The "pounding" of the firewall is actually a dimple thats put in to clear the cam cover. It's all pretty straightforward and if you've got more questions call me @ 208-347-3309 . Tom Watson helped me with the ecu wiring and is a great resource for help on this project. Good luck, Leroy