Sacramento (Roseville) CA - 73 3.0 CS - 35K Miles

calshamus

Reaction score
First I'd like to thank everyone involved in this forum as it's been an invaluable point of reference for my research into these incredible cars.

I've built several cars, mostly vintage American cars...67 Mustang Fastback, 56 Chevy, 58 Chevy, 74 F250 Crew, 29 Model A, among others. I had a 90 M3 for some time as well, but I just drove the hell out of it and maintained it.

Anyway, I recently purchased a 73 3.0 CS with 35K original miles as shown below. An amazing find to be sure that I'm just incredibly excited about.

1973BMW30CS
IMG_1782.JPG

Follow the link below to see a number of additional pictures of this car:
https://plus.google.com/photos/117214375058399711491/albums/5785127418869211457?banner=pwa

I'm excited to pick it up next week (9/13) and drive it home on the ~1000 mile trip! Once I get it back home I'll put it into registry and update this post on how the trip went, etc... I'm incredibly excited as I've always wanted to own one of these beautiful rides.

Shawn

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Let me know when you go to register it, I had entered it as Seen in the old CS Registry and can delete it for you.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Shawn, I'll be at The Fountains tomorrow evening with my coupe with the Euro Sunday guys. My car isn't nearly as nice as yours, but nice enough to take out in public. ;-) Stop by ...

Dan

calshamus

Reaction score
Dang what time are you planning on being around and where are you planning to be Zocolo's, Tard House, Mikuni's, ...?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The cars will be displayed from around 5:00 to 9:30p and I can't leave before that. Shoot me an email at the [email protected] address and I'll give you my phone number.

calshamus

Reaction score
400 miles into the trip with no issues. What a great drive. Kelowna is a beautiful place with Okanagan Lake right there! It seemed like there was an unusually high percentage of good looking women there to boot. Actually the whole drive down 97 so far has been lake after lake, wine country, followed by more lakes and rivers. I got through customs in ~30 mins and didn't even have to pay an import tax! Good times. On a roll. If I don't slow down I'm gonna make this drive in 2 days. It's hard though it's so fun to drive. Been cruising mostly 70-80 and sometimes a bit more when I just couldn't resist.

calshamus

Reaction score
Well just to update everyone. I made it back Friday night around 8:30, after leaving at 4pm on Thursday. Total trip time ~28 hours, but I spent 1 hour at the border, 1 hour watching the second half of the Packers/Bears game, 6 hours at HoJo in Yakima, WA, 3 hours in Bend, OR, 1 hour in Weed, CA, so total driving time was ~16 hours to go ~1000 miles. Everything that worked when I started, worked when I got back home...no problems at all. Even the clock works!

Here is a pic of the car crossing the border in Oroville, WA:
IMG_1782.JPG

I've uploaded some more pictures in the link below:
https://picasaweb.google.com/117214375058399711491/1973BMW30CS?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Some pics to highlight are:

Passing through 35K miles:
IMG_1794.JPG

BMW Manuals:
IMG_1806.JPG

I did spend a few hours on Saturday cleaning her and she looks even better than the pics! I'll take more pics tonight and post later. Also Dan (dang) is going to inspect her, and I can't wait because she is absolutely beautiful, more than I expected. I ran a magnet around the whole car, been checking everything out, she is bone stock, and super clean. Obviously I'm very excited.

Shawn

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Shawn,

From all of the papers you have, was this coupe sold new in Canada? Yours is one of the last 73 automatics made, only 49 VINs after yours. You can e-mail Andreas for the build date, instructions are on the Registry page.

Chris

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congrats

Shawn, you are living the dream. Most of the cars I buy couldn't be driven home despite my burning desire to do so. All of them would have had catastrophic breakdowns enroute. Anyway, very pretty car. No doubt you attracted a lot of positive attention over the entire drive.
John

calshamus

Reaction score
John thanks, it was definitely an incredible experience, one I'll never forget. I did get a lot of attention no matter whether I was driving, parked, getting gas, etc. Most people I spoke to had no idea what it was but loved it and had to know what it was.

BTW, I had Dan (dang) who started this forum come inspect the car last night and he stated it was one of the nicest original cars he's ever seen. My intention was to get a nice car that I could "hack" on and modify, but I can't bring myself to do it to this car, especially after Dan's validation. So now this weekend I'm going to put together a series of detailed pictures, videos, documentation, etc. and put her up on eBay and see what happens. I guess it's a good problem to have. Stay tuned...

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
DId you buy it just to flip it?

Or is it that you can't bring yourself to restomod such an original car?
If the latter, kind of reminds me of the Taiga car out in Seattle. That's why I recommended it to "Driver" who wants to go all original.

John

calshamus

Reaction score
John,

You hit the nail on the head. I plan on restomod/touring style the car, driving it in the rain, using as a frequent driver... I just can't do it to this car. It wouldn't be right.

Shawn