safety seats for kids as 1972

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
found this advert of a local supplier of baby chairs.

1600346258686.png

october 1972, it seems extremely advanced for the era in spain as safety belts were not complusory until 1978

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My two year old sister rode from NYC to Pittsburgh, Pa in a vinyl seat that had two metal hooks that went over the back of the back seat. It had a red steering wheel.
It makes the one in your photo look really safe and modern in comparison.

They made superior catapults for sending small children through windshields. No seatbelts, metal dashes, steering columns with arrow points(see 1956 Chevy Belaire).

We were in a 1959 Ford Country Squire Station Wagon. So lots of room for two other siblings to play in the back hatch. The median "barrier" on the PA Turnpike was a four inch high concrete strip with angled sides. Perfect for launching large cars airborne into the oncoming lanes.

And let's not even think about the tires at 70mph.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
My two year old sister rode from NYC to Pittsburgh, Pa in a vinyl seat that had two metal hooks that went over the back of the back seat. It had a red steering wheel.
It makes the one in your photo look really safe and modern in comparison.

They made superior catapults for sending small children through windshields. No seatbelts, metal dashes, steering columns with arrow points(see 1956 Chevy Belaire).

We were in a 1959 Ford Country Squire Station Wagon. So lots of room for two other siblings to play in the back hatch. The median "barrier" on the PA Turnpike was a four inch high concrete strip with angled sides. Perfect for launching large cars airborne into the oncoming lanes.

And let's not even think about the tires at 70mph.
Many times spent hanging out the back of my best friend's Mom's Country Squire wagon....threw a lot of objects out doing dumb experiments.

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Many times spent hanging out the back of my best friend's Mom's Country Squire wagon....threw a lot of objects out doing dumb experiments.
Ever try the matches stuck in an orange like a porcupine?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I preferred lighting the whole pack and tossing it. I could hear them flaring. Grew up with a kid who liked a bit too much. Joined the fire department. Eventually arrested for Arson.

"Come on Baby light my fire."

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I preferred lighting the whole pack and tossing it. I could hear them flaring. Grew up with a kid who liked a bit too much. Joined the fire department. Eventually arrested for Arson.

"Come on Baby light my fire."

arson, i wonder what is the root for this word and how is it connected to fire

they say it has latin root ardere, but funny enough the British term for arson is fire-raising

someone has been building the word somewhere sometimes

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Arson: first know use circa 1680 as defined in the current definition. "the willful or malicious burning of property with fraudulent or criminal intent. Emphasis on the criminal.

Anglo-French: arsoun, from ars, past participle of arder, ardre to burn. from Latin ardere

Footnote: a good Christian studying to be a minister told me about a suspicious fire in a town nearby. He said it was "Jewish Lightning." Then explained to me it was arson.
All the "isim's" are so pervasive.

He probably kept a copy of "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion" on his night stand. Looking back I should have said something about my German/Jewish grandfather, son of immigrants who sang lullabies to me in Yiddish.

Boy, I am really getting off topic.

Steve O'Neill

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I knew YHS Arde was going to be blamed sooner or later.
I have an alibi, in 1680 I was not around.

DQ, I am not buying that Spanish auto-baby even if you find a stash of NOS...

Arson: first know use circa 1680 as defined in the current definition. "the willful or malicious burning of property with fraudulent or criminal intent. Emphasis on the criminal.

Anglo-French: arsoun, from ars, past participle of arder, ardre to burn. from Latin ardere

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score

Footnote: a good Christian studying to be a minister told me about a suspicious fire in a town nearby. He said it was "Jewish Lightning." Then explained to me it was arson.

He probably kept a copy of "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion" on his night stand. Looking back I should have said something about my German/Jewish grandfather, son of immigrants who sang lullabies to me in Yiddish.

Steve O'Neill
I knew an Orson Bean ;)

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Steve O'Neill

very nice explanation, thank you
then may be coming from french language,
funny there is nothing similar to arson in spanish, i wonder if italian has a similar term

p.s. you know some groups have been always responsible for other’s problems, i.e. in spanish there are some politically incorrect old terms and sentences about different groups, ethnical, religious, ... another example is that still in some areas of what once was Flanders elders tell kids to be good or the spanish duke of Alba will come and kidnapp you (“Since then, the Duke of Alba´s name has been used to frighten the Dutch childrenand even at present he is considered to be as the Bogeyman in the Netherlands”)

p.s., @Arde, Arde is a verb, as “la madera arde” ...”wood burns”, ...but of course you already knew
p.s.2, and now what should i do with these thirty four NOS pieces that i planned to sell for my retirement...”Arde-ras en el infierno por esto” :)

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
de'Q, we inherently don't like and don't trust others. Especially when there are visual and verbal cues that set off certain synapses. Every culture, every tribe, every ethnic/nationality group is capable of the most heinous crimes against another. How quickly we forget Bosnia/Herzegovina.

Contrast Clinton's bombing campaign(too late for so many but it stopped the slaughter) with Obama's shifting red lines in the sand which led to one of the largest refugee crises in history, the destruction of ancient cites and the death of hundreds of thousands.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
de'Q, we inherently don't like and don't trust others. Especially when there are visual and verbal cues that set off certain synapses. Every culture, every tribe, every ethnic/nationality group is capable of the most heinous crimes against another. How quickly we forget Bosnia/Herzegovina.

Contrast Clinton's bombing campaign(too late for so many but it stopped the slaughter) with Obama's shifting red lines in the sand which led to one of the largest refugee crises in history, the destruction of ancient cites and the death of hundreds of thousands.

absolutely, we tend to seek refuge in the vincinity of our group, ethnic, cultural, country,...and we tend to think that we belong to that unity

so absurd, i remeber in the film “ the english patitent” when r.fiennes said to j.binoche speaking about w.dafoe,”... just because you both are canadians you trust him ? he could be a criminal,...”

just on the spot,

read sinisia malesevic here,
https://elpais.com/cultura/2020/08/27/babelia/1598517337_524599.html

“....when you control the people, you do not need to kill them...”

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score

I recently saw one of those in NOS condition in a friends garage, I almost couldn't believe him when he told me what it was :D

IMG_8931.jpg IMG_8932.jpg IMG_8934.jpg

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ah, what fond and scary memories that beauty brings back. My sister's was less substantial with the back and seat a little thicker than a trash bag. But it was brightly colored.

I wonder if the horn honks.