Saw a 73 for sale in Malibu

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I called the seller and went and saw the car from close up! The car has been hit in front and back both at some time! Rear bumper has multiple creases although not noticeable at first glance. Rear bumper also has deep rusty surface about 10 inches long , about two inches wide , on top side requiring metal grinding and/or filling before chrome work! It also has separated from the left quarter panel !Front kidney grill body cavity had been damaged in an odd way not sure what sort of hit has caused that !! May be something like a 2by 4 slide over the top of the bumper and damaged the kidney grill and the body. Front bumper appeared to be tilting down a bit , may be caused by sagging front struts or adjustment to the bumper bracket could fix it . Both left and right front grills are damaged and wavy! Wood appeared to had been worked on at sometime! But all there , and didn’t show significant peeling , driver door wood was wavy . All door panels look good but then again had been punctured and held with Philips screw! Dash looked dirty but good!
I could not inspect Rear shock towers as there were covered with normal grey liner, and the trunk was full of stuff!
Glass were very dirty so could not be inspected for scratches and such! Front shock tower appear to be ok and some signs of usual surface rust visible! Right quarter panel had been hit at sometime and bad rust was visible about 2 inches near the belt molding ! Few more noticeable rust bubbles on the lower section of both fenders !
Did not drive the car but engine did start after two or three tries! Dash gauges look good but real dusty behind the lenses! Windows to my surprise worked ok! It appeared to have new switches put on! Headliner looked ok! Windshield Molding had some damage and needed some work! Trunk gap on the left side was wider than normal while all other gaps on the trunk were normal . Seller believed someone hit it recently in the parking lot at grocery store. May be that caused some of the rear bumper damage and separation of the bumper tip where it meets the quarter panel. Seller claimed he was the costodian of the car for several years and was driving it regularly and keep it at his house ! Seller said he was helping the owner sell the car! Seller claimed he has never turned on the AC or the heater! I didn’t attempt to turn on either AC or heater!
Both tail light lenses had multiple cracks each and were slightly out of place.
Seller also claimed the car shifts hard from 1st to 2nd when cold but runs fine on highway !
All and all in my opinion for about $30k to $35k for paint and body, (chroming front and rear bumpers only )and interior work you can have a nice driver and then sort out the engine tuning and transmision sloppy linkage! In my opinion $20 k is too much for this condition of an E9!

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up. Impressive that from Arde's pic of the for-sale signs we then got a full set of pics, an in-person visit, and a thorough write up. This forum at its best.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
It MAYBE worth $21.5k if NOTHING ELSE is rusty. Rockers, behind the glove/fusebox doors, floors, spare tire well, etc.

But that would be a miracle if that was the case.

Patch panels can fix the fenders and not have to replace the fenders, although underneath is another story and need a scope camera to see what's there. Door can be found elsewhere (shipping a royal PITA tho).

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Please let us know what the VIN is.
Hello Chris, the other car I speak with you about never responded ! But I emailed bMW archive and got this response!

The BMW 3.0 CS US VIN 2240755 was manufactured on May 9th, 1973 and delivered on May 22nd, 1973 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Baikal metallic, paint code 042.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
NIce write up. My job is done. Now somebody has to negotiate a suitable transaction price and start returning it to its former glory. Karma: I saw it right after coming out of the J. Paul Getty Villa whose artifacts made of terracota look intact after 3.000 years. This should inspire us to preserve this artifact with barely 40 years and TV series history.
If we cannot do that we deserve to drive cars made of terracota.

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I believe the car sold today! I am guessing for 20k as the seller was mentioning a gentleman was to come with $20k cash the next day (today)! I hope it’s not BHCC!!

Steven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I believe the car sold today! I am guessing for 20k as the seller was mentioning a gentleman was to come with $20k cash the next day (today)! I hope it’s not BHCC!!
I actually bought the car today! Sorry to anyone else who was vying for it...I’ve been dreaming of having an E9 since I was a kid, and this is my first. I didn’t find this thread until after I already made the deal, but still happy to buy affagados! Definitely not BHCC over here, but an LA local with a big heart for this car.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone in the E9 community!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I actually bought the car today! Sorry to anyone else who was vying for it...I’ve been dreaming of having an E9 since I was a kid, and this is my first. I didn’t find this thread until after I already made the deal, but still happy to buy affagados! Definitely not BHCC over here, but an LA local with a big heart for this car.

Hello Steven, and welcome to the forum. So glad that an individual bought this car (rather than a flipper). I know you'll find a wealth of information and camaraderie on the forum, as I have. Great people here! Congrats on the purchase.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This LA story is ready to be pitched to Hollywood, who has connections?
Title: "Karma vs. Karmann".
Acting: Dustin Hoffman (he knows stick shift and rust since that Alfa in The Graduate).
The movie opens whith a close-up of the E9 grill and its four sealed beams, while SImon and Garfunkel recite "Hello darkness my old friend...".

Congratulations Steven! Affogato it is.

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase. I was initially vying for it but couldn't quite get there. Glad it went to someone on the forum.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Love this! I am hoping @Arde would be willing to direct the cinematography for my restoration after reading this treatment. Or at the very least, the score. :)
This LA story is ready to be pitched to Hollywood, who has connections?
Title: "Karma vs. Karmann".
Acting: Dustin Hoffman (he knows stick shift and rust since that Alfa in The Graduate).
The movie opens whith a close-up of the E9 grill and its four sealed beams, while SImon and Garfunkel recite "Hello darkness my old friend...".

Congratulations Steven! Affogato it is.

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Congratulations Steven!
Best wishes on your endeavor on cleaning the car up ! Let us know what you need to restore the car !
Cheers
Tony P.

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score

So happy it is an individuals with passion for it as compared to Beverly Hills Car Club or another flipper !

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steven

Congrats and welcome to the E9 Community - its a thrill ride to say the least. You can get on the SoCal Vintage BMW mailing list by dropping a note to [email protected]. We have a great meet in Woodley Park in November and typically have 12-15 E9s there, usually a CSL or two. We'll also have an open house at Bavarian Workshop on 7/20, come by and get to meet a bunch of us crazies. My CSi might actually be finished by then!

Steven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the warm welcome by all— one of the reasons I love this community so much. I will absolutely hop on the SoCal Vintage mailing list, and look forward to meeting in July and November.

I’m going to slowly chip away at the projects one by one to bring her back to her glory, and no doubt I’ll be hitting you all up for advice, parts, therapy, and all kinds of other things!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Awesome!! good job- I know a couple forum members who probably would have liked a shot at that car!!

Please let us know the structural condition when you have time to inspect her!

Thanks and welcome!!