Saw the Taiga 3.0S in the Flesh

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was at Tedfest In Mississauga, Ontario today and the longest drive award winner was Luis with his Taiga E3. It is a spectacular restoration. Should have won Best of Show (is this just a dog show thing?)

Amazingly well detailed and executed, which I kinda suspected from seeing some photos.
Glad the weather was perfect.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
No photos sorry Steve. I hope Luis does a full photo shoot on his E3. My Coupe is not making much progress I am ashamed to say. Did make contact with a Weber expert, sat in some CSL seats that a very nice owner made possible (He had a Very sweet RHD Taiga CSL). Tried both sizes and preferred the Xtra Large.
Also ran into Gary Bellamy who now is driving a very interesting Euro M535. Never knew much about this model. Luis made a very long trek from Wisconsin, then bolted for Michigan at the end of the afternoon. The Judges had to chase after him to give him an award.

Last edited:

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
It was great meeting you Bob, and Gary as well. What a great event; very nice people and venue and the weather was spectacular. A great variety of BMW's. Sorry, didn't take a single photo... I was busy taking it all in...

My total round trip mileage from Milwaukee for the trip was 1,340 miles, since we first went to Lexington, Michigan to spend the 4th there. Average speeds 70-80 MPH for hours at a time. The AC worked well until temps got into 86-88 degrees in IL. Outlet temps were still getting down to 40-42, it's a matter of solar radiation into the cabin and not enough airflow through the evaporator, even though my squirrel cage fan is as good as new.

First long trip for the car having only covered 550 local miles as break-in. Only incidents were: accelerator lever (the one that attaches to the rod at the firewall) coming off at speed on the highway, alternator nuts coming off (another thread), and a windshield crack coming back yesterday.

This last one really bugs me as that appears to be the original windshield with the "Made in West Germany" markings, etc... It's about 5 inches long on passenger side and will try to find a local shop that is willing to fix it without replacing the windshield. Any clues on how to do this?

gary bellamy

Reaction score
I would personally like to thank Luis for bringing that beautiful E3 to our show it
is quite stunning.

Thanks for stopping by Bob hopefully you will have your coupe there next year.

We set a new record this year, 184 cars.

Gary

86M535I

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seems to me if the crack goes all the way to the edge I don't think they can do much for you. Nice that you put so many miles at a a good speed on the new car. Always an adventure.