Scheel Seat Question

JohnP_02

Reaction score
I have been bugging @Markos about this, so figured I would give him a little break and just post my question here since I know many of you are experts or very familiar with Scheel seats. I am looking to buy a decent Scheel 101 but it appears the frame is somewhat bent slightly and the adjuster is stuck. The seller has been very upfront with all this, so that’s not an issues. My question is can either of these be repaired, or how bad is this looking to you all? Thank you in advance! John P

281BBBAF-CE4A-4019-B4A6-8BEED4B7E25A.jpeg

EBADBFB5-3555-451C-9A2B-D0E318BB7AAE.jpeg

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If the tweak is what it appears the seat (and it's occupant) took a good hit, and like a similarly affected steering wheel, not really a good way to correct it.
Being a metal frame I'd be wary of trying to tweak it back lest some welds let go. I remember seeing one of these naked, hopefully someone will post a
photo to illustrate how they were made. The adjuster is usually not a big deal and can be massaged free.

A shame because it looks to be in very nice condition otherwise.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Russ is right, John. The frames are small diameter, steel round stock and the welds are pretty small. That seat has taken a wack and bending it back may be the thing that pops a couple of the welds and then it's tear it apart and lots of $. Perhaps look for one in better shape.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Russ is right, John. The frames are small diameter, steel round stock and the welds are pretty small. That seat has taken a wack and bending it back may be the thing that pops a couple of the welds and then it's tear it apart and lots of $. Perhaps look for one in better shape.

Close. If it was round stock it probably wouldn't be bent. Bar stock.

12916789_465091393700058_7942016069561482279_o.jpg

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thank you @Markos, that illustrates how spindly the frames are and compared to a fiberglass shell, nearly as light but stronger in a serious event.

You can see how correcting a twisted or bent frame would be difficult to accurately do bare, let alone upholstered. @JohnP_02 , hope you find a good one.

Gerrit

Reaction score
This is a CSL 100 standard width of the second generation which has been obviously in an accident. It can be fixed but just bending it back may not do it for it may deform at another weaker point. A template should be used and some of the welds may have to be reopened.

JohnP_02

Reaction score
Update 1/14:

Found a really early Scheel 100 to pair up with my later 100. The patina on the early seat is amazing, I love it. It is also almost 2" narrower than the "CSL" 100 at 10" vs 12" across the middle.

I do need to find some inserts for the headrests if anyone has a good source? The early 100 only has holes and I would need the whole pair of insets to hold a headrest. Curious about if that early fabric is available as well? I think this will clean up nicely, but some new cord fabric may be an option later. TIA!

0.jpg