Scheels ... cheap

duane_sword

Reaction score
Holy BAT S**T

Yes that looks like a great deal... I would buy them and make them into office chairs!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
scheels vs other seats in E9's

One word of caution: I recently put two early 1980's Scheels I have into my E9, using the Scheel seat rail adapter. IIRC, these are the 400 rally model with aggressively sized shoulder bolsters and very firm/supportive urethane foam guts.

The seating position is considerably higher than with a stock seat, and also much higher than the Recaro's that were taken out of the E9. If I were about inch taller, I wouldn't fit anymore and I'm only 6' (this is a sunroof E9).

I'll revisit the Scheel bracket to see if there's some way to lower the seat with a custom made adapter.

I was very excited to install the Scheels as they served me extremely well in my 2002 during grad school 3 decades ago. But now I'm 'bigger' by 50lbs, and I suspect I'd prefer a set of OE sport seats from an E28 or E24. If I had Duane's svelte figure it might be different. If newer Scheel-Mann seats have a lower/thinner seat cushion it might not be an issue. Eventually, this car will be put into Mario's capable hands for a restoration, at which time we'll discuss the idea of creating lower seat mounting points (with an spacer to bring it back to stock height if needed).

John

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
One word of caution: I recently put two early 1980's Scheels I have into my E9, using the Scheel seat rail adapter. IIRC, these are the 400 rally model with aggressively sized shoulder bolsters and very firm/supportive urethane foam guts.

The seating position is considerably higher than with a stock seat, and also much higher than the Recaro's that were taken out of the E9. If I were about inch taller, I wouldn't fit anymore and I'm only 6' (this is a sunroof E9).

I'll revisit the Scheel bracket to see if there's some way to lower the seat with a custom made adapter.

I was very excited to install the Scheels as they served me extremely well in my 2002 during grad school 3 decades ago. But now I'm 'bigger' by 50lbs, and I suspect I'd prefer a set of OE sport seats from an E28 or E24. If I had Duane's svelte figure it might be different. If newer Scheel-Mann seats have a lower/thinner seat cushion it might not be an issue. Eventually, this car will be put into Mario's capable hands for a restoration, at which time we'll discuss the idea of creating lower seat mounting points (with an spacer to bring it back to stock height if needed).

John

Is the seat rail adapter simple sheet steel with holes drilled to align with mounting point on the floor and seat or the formed steel piece that props the seat up an additional 1" or so? I just mounted Scheels in my coupe and they sit about the same height as stock but i fab'd the sheets steel bracket so they rest practically on the floor rails.

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
As Shanon pointed out, these seats are from the 80's at the earliest. And, my german is not so great, but the seller points out that they came out of a delivery truck or van. Do they have the mounts for armrests?

=>John, what adaptors are you using? I have a set from Gerrit that, at the lowest mounting position, sets the seat bottom about the same height as stock --- but I guess it also depends on which Scheel seat is mounted and how worn the stock seat is.... I'm not using them if you want to give them a shot. Let me know.

Here are the ones I'm talking about:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is the seat rail adapter simple sheet steel with holes drilled to align with mounting point on the floor and seat or the formed steel piece that props the seat up an additional 1" or so? I just mounted Scheels in my coupe and they sit about the same height as stock but i fab'd the sheets steel bracket so they rest practically on the floor rails.

Yes, you're right. The "bracket" is the stock Scheel slider (e.g. totally bypasses the BMW fore/aft slider control). The bottom half of the Scheel slider is a slotted channel, about 1.25" tall, and with ends that turn downward. The downward turned ends have 3 holes for height selection. I'm on the lowest holes. But you are right that I could lose that 1.25" if I just did flat adapter plates (no fore-aft adjustment). The BMW sliders are a little shorter than the Scheel sliders, and might also be a possible 1/2 way solution.

What gauge steel sheet did you use for your 'adapter'?

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Yes, you're right. The "bracket" is the stock Scheel slider (e.g. totally bypasses the BMW fore/aft slider control). The bottom half of the Scheel slider is a slotted channel, about 1.25" tall, and with ends that turn downward. The downward turned ends have 3 holes for height selection. I'm on the lowest holes. But you are right that I could lose that 1.25" if I just did flat adapter plates (no fore-aft adjustment). The BMW sliders are a little shorter than the Scheel sliders, and might also be a possible 1/2 way solution.

What gauge steel sheet did you use for your 'adapter'?

1/8" i think. Very easy to do. Mine came with 911 hardware so i removed all of it and just drilled additional holes in the bracket to match the pattern on the underside of the seats.

John S

Reaction score

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
That's what I used to mount Scheels into my 3.0 csi. It will mount them as low as they can possibly go. Good luck,
John

Yup. that's the exact same thing i made but for about 1/6th the cost, courtesy of Ace Hardware, some elbow grease and about 1 hour of time. :)

cartoonz

Reaction score
Saw these on ebay germany. Looks like a pretty incredible deal (shipping charges, and finish notwithstanding). Seller wont ship to US but maybe one of our german members would be willing to coordinate shipping... for a fee, of course.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Scheelmann-T...d=100033&prg=10944&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=271637775991

Did the Seller actually tell you that?
This is what the seller says in the listing:

SHIPPING: The Offered transport price is for Germany only.
For other countries please ask for a transport price
world wide shipment is possible!

Wont be cheap though, I can attest to that.

As Shanon pointed out, these seats are from the 80's at the earliest. And, my german is not so great, but the seller points out that they came out of a delivery truck or van.

He says they were last mounted in a Renault Traffic van and that they will mount to Recaro tracks...

I suspect these would be gone in a heartbeat if they were already in North America

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
The listing was modified over the last few days as it originally stated in the shipping description that they wouldn't ship to the US.