scirocco steering wheel ---> E9 converstion

autobahn

Reaction score
So I picked one up last year. Does anybody know how to adapt them? Any bolt on tricks or do I have to machine/modify a Nardi, Momo hub?

Honolulu

Reaction score
How many bolt holes, what spacing or what diameter from center? You'll have to hope there is an adaptor "out there" for you, or be prepared to modify one from another wheel. Many of us use the Nardi "Personal" wheel, and the Nardi hub adapter. With proper tooling (I'm thinking a mill or drill press with a radial table tho' unsure of the proper term) you can make it fit.

There are probably backyard ways to drill the hub to fit. Please be sure that whatever you do, it fits snug and secure.

arnie

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it conversion.

The scirocco wheel is the same kind of petri wheel used in the csl, except of the used material. The scirocco one has a foam with a leather structure and the csl-petri has real leather. (for my knowledge - if I'm wrong here, pls correct me)

The metal part and adaption to a hub is exactly the same. So find a original Petri hub fitting to the BMW steering column or adapt it yourself to another hub.

I did it with an original Momo - hub and it wasn't that difficult. The bolt pattern of the Petri is a little bigger than the one of the Momo wheel, but there's still enough material to drill this specific bolt pattern.

In addition I put some leather onto the scirocco wheel. This was a reasonable way to get a CSL-looking wheel for a relatively low price ....

cheers
Ingo

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the Scirocco and our beloved e9's were designed (made?) by Karmann- I have a 16v that I run around the local track, cool car-

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ingo is spot on - same bolt pattern for the wheels. There are a few people who are regularly selling parts for the wheels, Coupeguy and egobgo (on ebay) come to mind. If you find the hub coupeguy sells repro plastic covers. If I remember correctly, if you plan on a redrill/tap of a MOMO hub it needs to be the old, cast solid ones to have enough material. Also, because the center of the steering wheel is not solid (like a momo or nardi) there will be gaps between the spokes. The OE plastic cover has higher material between the spokes to cover the gap. I'll try to find some photos to explain myself better.
hope that helps

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Petri Wheel

Correct, the spline is different but easy to change, I have an extra Sirocco wheel if someone would like it, reasonable, needs to be re-covered

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it conversion.

The scirocco wheel is the same kind of petri wheel used in the csl, except of the used material. The scirocco one has a foam with a leather structure and the csl-petri has real leather. (for my knowledge - if I'm wrong here, pls correct me)

The metal part and adaption to a hub is exactly the same. So find a original Petri hub fitting to the BMW steering column or adapt it yourself to another hub.

I did it with an original Momo - hub and it wasn't that difficult. The bolt pattern of the Petri is a little bigger than the one of the Momo wheel, but there's still enough material to drill this specific bolt pattern.

In addition I put some leather onto the scirocco wheel. This was a reasonable way to get a CSL-looking wheel for a relatively low price ....

cheers
Ingo

my understanding, and i can be wrong, but the CSL wheel has leather over the rubber / foam wheel, that's why its thicker than the standard Petri wheel.

i do know that finding a petri hub that fits our car is pretty difficult. and by the way EGOBGO - aka Big Ego, is really expensive.

John S

Reaction score
I bought a brand new 400mm Petri and a used 380mm Petri from EgoBgo and both were perfect, but ... really expensive

On a positive note, I purchased one of the reproduction plastic covers for the Petri hub from CoupeGuy and it was perfect and he was a pleasure to deal with.